Sunday, January 25, 2009

This weekend so far...

I am writing from the comfort of my couch, mug filled with tea and bowl of hot chicken soup (that's a bit too spicy - never accidentally buy "diced jalapenos" instead of "diced chilies) on the side table. It was just a matter of time before we finally caught B's cold. M and I both felt the sore throat coming on yesterday! So we are all at home this Sunday, lying low and really taking it easy. We had a fun weekend until we caught the bug. It was such a rest from the long week. It's still pretty restful, but colds are a drag.

On Friday night (when our weekends begin!!), we headed to Azteca for din-din! We have been eating mostly at home whenever possible so going out was a nice respite for me! I'm happy to say I controlled my appetite and only ate until full. I read somewhere that a good help when dining out is to halve your plate first (put other half in box), then eat your meal. You're guaranteed to eat less! Have to say, Mexican food is one of my faves, so controlling myself there was hard to do. Afterward, I got my laugh for the day...M dropped me off in front of the store to return shoes. I grabbed my purse and "shoes" and headed in. I got to the counter and was like, "I'd like to return these sho---", only to embarrassingly realize I'd grabbed our leftovers! I felt like such a dunce.

On Saturday morning, I woke up early to exercise. These days, I don't even try the procrastination game in my head "should I go work out or should I wait until later?" If I know I have enough time...I just physically get dressed, pull the tennis shoes on and drive off before my mind can argue. The reason why I got up early to do it is #1) I enjoy working out in the morning versus nighttime (when I was single it was the opposite) #2) we had a date with my sil to go to IHOP for brunch! Talk about carbo load. So we met Michelle at pancake land. I ordered an omelet that came with 3 harvest grain 'n' nut cakes. Again, I halved my omelet and shared some with B, too. I even had a pancake! Don't know why I'm giving you all these details. Maybe because typing is about the most fun to have when blowing the nose every minute ::shrug::
When we got home, M cleaned out his truck and I organized the kitchen. One more step closer to my New Year resolution. It was actually fun once I got into the swing of things. I eliminated kitchen stuff that I NEVER use, but never thought to get rid of. Amazing. I also reviewed everything I already had in the cupboard. Tons of flour, I tell ya!

On Saturday night, we had family time at Border's. Our favorite thing is to get a stack of magazines and sit in the children's section while B browses to her heart's content. Cooking, Weight Watchers, People and home plans were my choice. I also got a chamomile tea. Ahhh. (Early evening is when I felt the sore throat coming) M was hungry so we stopped by Ivar's in the mall. The new South Center mall food court is quite something. I was hungry, too, (shall we say starving?) so I gave in to a piece of fish. Note: I have this new "no eating after 7:30" policy. It was about 9:15.

The great news is that I stepped on the scale this morning...and I've now lost 7 lbs! Yay. All the recording my calories (I'm doing it after all) and exercising is paying off. Don't worry, I'm not starving myself. I'm basically doing a home-grown versions of Weight Watchers. I record my eating and make healthier choices. I also head to the gym even if I don't feel like it. I'm so happy it's working. My goal is to be at my ideal weight by the end of February. I know those last few pounds will be a bear.

Now I have a cold and I hope that last pound lost doesn't come back. We shall see.

1 comment:

Susannah Forshey said...

Here's some feelings of Empathy sent your way.....Ben & I have spent all day trading off holding Violet and dripping garlic oil in her ears. In between, we sip tea and pat each other's back. :(

Also....I'm totally sympathetic towards your weight-loss Battles. I enjoy reading about your victories! It makes me feel better about my own ups and downs. I'm not mental, after all! :)