Friday, January 16, 2009

Is that your final answer, God?

Last night I was having a hard time accepting the finality of my daughter's death. Yes, I know with all my heart she's in heaven. But, every once in a while, I wish she was here to visit, here with us. But she will not be. The phrase came to me "Is that your final answer, God?" Is it hard for us, for me, to take God's final answer, His pattern for our lives? There are many hard and hurtful things that happen in this life. "The timing is just off, God!!" Or so we think.

Believe it or not, God sees the upper part of the quilt. We see all the knots and straggly threads on the underside. God knows what He's doing! Just because it may seem His goodness is afar off, does not mean so! Because what we think is goodness is not always good for us. He has something better, if we'll just surrender to it. His hand in our lives continually molds, prunes, strengthens, and guides us. Sometimes the pressure is much! Because of the pain, it is hard to receive those bitter moments. And that is human. But to hold on to that pain, letting it fester, blossom into ugly bitterness and cynicism, is our choice. Hate and bitterness blind us and freeze our heart, keep us from loving. Loving God and loving others. Yes, we can be upset for a while. Cry those tears! Feel that pain, grieve your loss. But then find comfort in that in this changing world, God never changes. His love for you and me has never varied. It is still fervent, it is so real, it is compassionate.

"I have set the Lord always before me: because He is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. Therefore, my heart is glad, and my glory rejoices: my flesh also shall rest in hope."
Psalm 16:8,9

No comments: