Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy 2009!!!

Happy New Year!!!

Last night we toasted it in with goblets of Coke and Martinelli's...along with our traditional viewing of the Seattle Space Needle fireworks! We are so lucky to live in this beautiful state.

We had yet another party, for NYE (mind you, we all live within 30 min of each other). Again, we had too much food and lots of games and talking. In many ways, I'm so excited to kick off 2009, and in other ways, I am sad to say good-bye to 2008. But in all, I am really humbled and awed to serve an AMAZING God who never changes, regardless of the year. Though we make resolutions every new year and try tweaking this or that, He is the same yesterday, today and forever! Isn't that comforting and reassuring? Doesn't it give you peace?

Well, speaking of New Year Resolutions, what are some of yours? (You can even share some with me via comments just because I'm always looking for inspiration/motivation). Anyhoo, I think mine are pretty reasonable, doable, and healthy. Here they are: potty train my daughter, get down to my goal weight (including eating right and exercising regularly), and organize my home. I have a few others, but those are the main ones. Let's start with the last one first. I am currently reading a book entitled Eliminate Chaos. Not only a book, Eliminate Chaos is a company specializing in organization! Pretty cool, huh? The book has been very helpful, and I start organizing my home on Monday (on my own). We'll see how this journey goes! Can I say I'm just a tad excited about having a place for everything in our home?

Secondly, I want to have a healthier eating and exercise life style. I've done it before, and I can do it again. My goal is to get down to what is a healthy weight and shape for my body. Part of me has not wanted to lose the weight, just because of all the memories about Amelia attached to it. Part of me could care less if those extra pounds go away. It's interesting how our emotions and extra weight can be intertwined. Recording calories and making better choices has been the only way to conquer the hungry beast within me. Yes, that's what it feels like sometimes! Eating has become my crutch I've come to realize. I've had other crutches in the past: wetting the bed until age 9, pulling my hair out during my early teens (seriously, I had bald spots), during middle teens I had eczema, which was a result of constant scratching, and then I was overweight during college years, caused by constant eating. My husband has also been great motivation to me. He's really the only one who can keep me accountable, and he's not insulting about it. In fact, he knows my goal and bought me a new Weight Watchers bathroom scale for Christmas! Funny, but I'm truly excited about this.

Lastly, but certainly not least...potty training. The big PT for every mom! B has been doing really well the last couple days. We've started PT before, but realized it was too early. And I didn't have the energy to follow through (I was pregnant). On Wednesday, she went pee-pee in the potty. (For those who don't like specifics, stop now) We rewarded her with yummies and the chance to wear panties, not diapers. She was very excited, but unfortunately, had 3 accidents during the day, resulting in 3 separate sets of wet pants/undies needing to be changed. But it's okay to fail! Next Day, New Year's Eve, she stayed dry all day! She must not have liked the feeling of wetness. And that was even with a diaper on. She went pee and poo in the BIG potty throughout the day (not her little princess throne anymore). Her only accident was about 10:30 p.m., which is totally off schedule for her to be awake anyway. Needless to say, we are proud of her! She gets rewards both for staying dry and going in the potty! We are on 3rd day of PT, and she has stayed dry and gone again on the potty. We'll see how she does during nap time and nighttime sleep. That's the hardest step. But I'm not worried. My girl's gettin' so big! Yay...a future (at least for a little bit) of changing no diapers spurs us on.

So, we are welcoming 2009 with open arms.

OTOH, I am sad to say good-bye to '08 as well. As you all know, there are many sad/happy memories of Amelia attached to it. I'll miss my daughter always. However, I won't say she hasn't changed our lives. Because of her, even if she's not here, she's gotten our minds on eternity, what heaven will be like and just motivates us to live life to fullest for Jesus during our time here on the earth. How can we accept good from God, and never accept the lemons that are dealt our way, too? That was Job's question. And we haven't lost nearly as much as he did.

I also had to say good-bye to my brothers last night! Their flight back to campus left early this morning. Cheaper flights were going out on New Year's, so that is the way it had to be. We had a fun 2 weeks with them. The last few days were a blast. We went to Sprinker to play racquetball, and round robin table tennis. I have never played r-ball, so I am sore, but it left me wanting to play at our local gym! Yesterday, we also headed to the YMCA and played some basketball and did some laps around the track. Exercise is always more fun with other people. Then, of course, we hung out last night until the late (early?) hours.

"Real life" starts again on Monday. Hubby goes back to work, I organize my home and plan meals, we take down the decorations. Ya know, all the normal routine again. It will be nice to get back into it all, but at the same time, I miss all the Christmast songs, lights and family gatherings. But I guess it wouldn't be fun if we had it all the time would it? I don't think we would have space enough for all the gifts!! Guess we can have the "Christmas spirit" all year long, though...giving of ourselves and loving those around us. I think that's actually the Holy Spirit inside of us, if I'm not mistaken!

Happy New Year to you and yours!!!

No comments: