Monday, June 1, 2009

Visit to the East Side

This weekend, I was able to hop over near Spokane, specifically Elk, to visit my dear friend, Julie. She turned 30 this year!! Yes, thirty, flirty and thriving. Truth is, she doesn't look a day older than 20.

I drove over with my brother, Brian, who switched driving shifts with me. Mike and Brilla were home celebrating my mother-in-law's 60th birthday, so they couldn't come. Of course, I would have loved to go to that, too. It's always hard when you have 2 events that take place at the same time. But Julie's party was planned first! Not that I minded!

It was wonderful. She was totally surprised at the big bash held for her Saturday night. We had fun playing volleyball, talking, eating tacos and homemade spice cake and later licking yummy huckleberry ice cream - thanks to Josh Anderson. I should have taken a picture of our cones! They were deliciously huge! And huckleberry is a rarity; I've only been able to taste it over there on the "other side".On Sunday, we attended their church, Peaceful Valley. The people are so friendly, and I got to see some of Julie's friends I'd met before. They had a baptismal service, huge potluck and recognition time during the potluck. Fun afternoon! Later in the day, we met the Wood family's (Julie's family) sheep, chatted with the entire clan and Erin & Josh, before stopping in town at TJ Maxx.I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the Wood family again!! They are incredibly hospitable, light-hearted and fun to be around.They have all gotten so much older! I couldn't believe my eyes. Some of them were in me and Julie's children's choir when they were young. Time doesn't slow down, does it?Brian and I both agreed the trip wasn't as long as we expected. We talked the whole time, making 5 hours whir by.

My Monday today was spent doing office stuff, picking up the house (the dishes that were "going to be washed" were still there :P), and kind of wishing the weekend was here again. Brilla and I ran a couple errands this morning, getting music books and picking up prizes for Bible club. Then the afternoon was piano lessons, followed by a very rowdy Bible club. Summer is in the air! I always hold the thought that they take in more than they let on! Praise the Lord for that :)

I have gained a few pounds lately. It's the eating! I will be counting my calories (biggest challenge for me) and consistently working out again. I kind of got away from that the last 4 weeks. It doesn't help when you have a sick toddler that can't go to child care! But again, when there's a will, there's a way. The weather's been so nice, there's really no excuse to not head out for a power walk in the sunshine.

No comments: