Monday, June 22, 2009

Father's Day and such

I am so pooped.

We got waaay too little sleep this weekend. But that is the price to pay when you're having fun with family, right? So today is my recovery. I am paying bills and sitting on the couch catching up with online tidbits.

On Friday, I shopped with my friend, Susi. She found some really cute stuff! I, on the other hand, had no intention of buying clothing for myself, seeing that I've gained a couple pounds. So what does a girl do when she's in this state? Why, she buys shoes of course :) I found an inexpensive pair at Ann Taylor , very chic and a couple more pairs at Marshalls. The Sketchers will be eversonice for casual when I want to wear tennies, but not my exercise or yard shoes. They have good support, too. And the sandals are simply for looks. They are extra cute, you must know - they have a sand-dollar/flip-flop like look to them. And they are bronze, so they will go with so many outfits!

I ended up buying my niece a cool super-size volleyball that can be used in the water as well. She turned 10 this weekend! Her party was Friday night. Once again, all our families got together, and boy, did we have more than enough food. There was salmon cooked on cedar planks, bbq chicken (made by yours truly, but a tad dry), salads, huge fruit platters, rice, etc. For dessert, there were walnut puffs, lemon chinello (?) cake from Costco, and chocolate birthday cake. Needless to say, everyone had their fill of food, laughter and catching up.

On Saturday, my husband, daughter and I went to Panera Bread for breakfast. We have not been in quite a while. It was so relaxing...classical music playing while we sipped coffee (I sipped the coffee) and munched on bagels and souffles. That definitely set me up for a splendid day. Then we had a short visit from M's friend, Sam, from Georgia. He was over here seeing his dad for Father's Day...and seeing a girl. Yes, he got quite the tease from us. We took him to lunch at McGrath's before he had to finally depart on a romantic excursion ;)

Have you every been to Family Christian Stores? I love that place. I just can't get enough - from their discounted gifts, to their variety of music, to the neat jewelry - I could find myself spending
forever there. I bought a few things for a graduation party we attended later that night. Some fashionista earrings with Scripture on them. Very tastefully created. After shopping there, we went home and we all took naps. We must have needed them, because we woke up groggy, but feeling relaxed and refreshed. My brothers came with us to the graduation party and we stayed so late! Way too late for Brilla, anyway. But there were so many wonderful people there to talk with, delicious food, and Foosball. One of the gals I enjoyed chatting with is a friend I haven't seen in a while - and she was 39 weeks along! Such a brave woman to be out and about chatting with everyone. I was so happy to see her. Graduation parties are like that sometimes, you see all these old faces and get to catch up.

On Father's Day, we went to church. I fixed up B in a cute new-to-her sleeveless blue dress, given to us from the sweet Asberg family. Then I took time to fix myself up for M! It's always so rushed on Sundays, since we try to squeeze out our winks to the fullest before getting up to get ready. Then we rushed out the door to make it just in time for Sunday School. There were only 2 girls in there, but we had a deep time of discussing what the Bible says about abortion. Like I said, deep topic. I guess we are following it up with stories and testimonials next week. After a wonderful church service, we headed home for good ol' homemade sandwiches - Daddy's request. Around early evening, we popped over to my in-laws for a dinner/dessert with my father-in-law. He has such a tough work schedule that is was nice to actually talk with him. He makes the best potato salad and he didn't fail us this time. Yum. After a couple hours, we then headed to my parents' house for some ping-pong, pool and pie. It was so much fun! I lost a lot, but who cares? We had lots of laughs and my dad enjoyed opening cards and gifts. I think Bri had a delightful time, too, getting lots of attention from her grandparents and uncles. The poor girl ;)

And that is all about our full weekend. And now you can see why I'm feeling tuckered out. But life spent surrounded by family and laughter is not anything to complain about; life is truly blessed.

No comments: