Thursday, June 25, 2009

Greater Love

Last night I watched a very disturbing movie, Beyond the Gates. It's a re-telling of the actual events of Rwanda's 1994 genocide. The back of the video jacket reads,

"At first, life is relatively calm at Rwanda's Ecole Technique Officielle, a European-run secondary school where UN peacekeepers provide protection for students and refugees alike, in a country scarred by historically warring factions. And a wise if world-weary Catholic priest (John Hurt) is an apt spiritual guide for an idealistic young teacher (Hugh Dancy). But when Hutu militia launch a bloody attack on the school, the two men must search their faith and decide whether to face death amongst the refugees or flee for safety."

It was disturbing because it was hard to watch the bloodshed (I closed my eyes many times), the reality and harshness of death without escape. But it was also extremely challenging. I have it so good here in my cozy home in a fairly safe town, within the relatively safe United States. I have no worries of imminent death by wild, rugged militia. I found myself wanting to stop the killing of all those innocent people. But the reality is...the majority died within the camp. And the UN did nothing to help. Of course, they could not rescue all, but it's a shame they could do nothing.

But what impressed me the most was the sacrifice by the British priest. No, I didn't agree with all his religious rhetoric, but it seems when it got down to the brass tax, he really did believe in the Lord. (Obviously, I don't know him, but I'm just going by the movie). When all the other whites headed back in the UN trucks for safety, he stayed among the people and died. "If I go, I might never find my soul again." He gave his life for that last load of children so they could escape. And they did escape. Remind you of another man who gave His life so others could live?

"Greater love has no man this, that a man lay down life for his friends." Jn 15:13

No comments: