Monday, May 25, 2009

The Lord is My Shepherd...

"The LORD! But who is the Lord? What is His character? Does He have adequate credentials to be my Shepherd - my manager - my owner?...

Our view of Him is often too small - too cramped - too provincial - too human. And because it is we feel unwilling to allow Him to have authority or control - much less outright ownership of our lives.

...So when the simple - though sublime - statement is made by a man or woman that "The Lord is my Shepherd," it immediately implies a profound yet practical working relationship between a human being and his Maker.

It links a lump of common clay to divine destiny - it means a mere mortal becomes the cherished object of divine diligence.

This thought alone should stir my spirit, quicken my own sense of awareness, and lend enormous dignity to myself as an individual. To think that God in Christ is deeply concerned about me as a particular person immediately gives great purpose and enormous meaning to my short sojourn upon this planet.

And the greater, the wider, the more majestic my concept is of the Christ - the more vital will be my relationship to Him."

-----A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23, Phillip W. Keller

I'm going through this book a second time, and I find the text once again drawing me to worship Christ for Who He is. Since I'm on summer break from my regular Bible study group, I've found a few devotionals I'd like to get through, to keep me accountable in reading His Word/delving into more aspects about the Lord and how He cares for me/us. If you have any suggested books or devotionals, please do comment, as I'd enjoy checking them out for my personal reading this summer :)

3 comments:

Carne Family said...

Hi Joy - I just found your blog and am so happy to get to read it. Your love for Christ and His will is so evident, it is an encouragement to me.

The Smiths said...

Hey Joy please share your bible studies you are doing I have been looking for a good one to do through the summer also since mine isnt starting till Sept!
I have to tell you your blog is a HUGE source of encouragment for me...when I feel like I need to be lifted up and reminded who my creator is I read your blog...It always is so positve and a reminder that even through sadness and grief you continue to lift Him up and give Him glory :)
So Thanks for sharing with everyone because it does make a difference!

The Smiths said...

here is my email so you can let me know what you are doing for a bible study!
calebshannon@yahoo.com

;)