Sunday, June 14, 2009

I have to share that I got to go on a date with my romantic hunk on Friday night! Our sweet sitter arrived at 5 and was there until 9:30! We had 4 1/2 hours to spend together. Alone!

First we went for dinner at Cheesecake Factory in Southcenter. I ordered the yummy and HUGE fish tacos. In fact, after my "small", ahem, supposedly small, side salad and some delicious bread, I guess I had room for only one taco. What I really liked about them was the amount of fish inside. There's a good portion. My favorite tacos by far, however, are the ones at Steamer's. And believe me, I'm a connoisseur of fish tacos :P We did not have room for some lemon torte (I know, we had no cheesecake at the Cheesecake Factory) and decided to have dessert later on.

We then headed to Acme Bowling. After my last episode of bowling with ladies, I had no clue how I would do this time. I really stank in the first round, but came back and beat M overall in the second, 236 to 231. 236 is a lame score, I admit, but at least I won!! We would have loved to stay and play more, but the music videos on the full-size screens were overwhelming and quite lewd. Next time we'll come before 7pm though and maybe I'll beat my husband again.

Lastly, we grabbed some milk chocolate w/ walnut cookies from Mrs. Field's and headed to Borders to browse our favorite magazines. Of course, M grabbed the decks and home plans while I grabbed the glute buster workouts (how to have the best butt ever!), clean eating and style magazines. I can dream, can't I??

We had a really fun night together. We need to do it more often!

On Saturday morning, we had breakfast out with my side of the family. Very early! At least for a Saturday morning. We had fun chatting about this and that, and finally got to go home fully stuffed and take much needed naps.

In the evening, we had M's aunt, uncle and young cousin, who are missionaries home on furlough from Central Asia, over for dinner. Salmon, brown rice, and broccoli! Yum! Also, I made a gluten-free chocolate cake. Btw, it was unusual but super-delicious and I think I'll make it again. Here is the recipe! Try it yourself and tell me what you think. I loved it.

Here are the recipes for the Avocado Salsa and Fruit Punch I said I would post last time:

(These are from Taste of Home magazine)

Avocado Salsa

1 2/3 cups frozen corn, thawed
2 cans (2 1/4 oz each) sliced ripe olives, drained (I just buy one can of whole and slice my own)
1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 TB cider vinegar
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
4 medium ripe avocado, peeled
Tortilla chips

In a large bowl, combine the corn, olives, red pepper and onion. In a small bowl, combine the garlic, oil, lemon juice, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper. Pour over corn mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Just before serving, chop avocados and stir into salsa. Serve with tortilla chips. Yield: about 7 cups. This baby is huge!! Make sure you are serving this to a group or share it with neighbors.

Tangy Fruit Punch

1 can (46 oz) pineapple juice (or buy frozen and make it up)
1 can (12 oz) frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
3/4 cup lemonade concentrate
1 cup water, divided
1/2 cup sugar
2 large ripe bananas
1 package (20 oz) frozen unsweetened whole strawberries, thawed
2 liters ginger ale, chilled

In a punch bowl or large container, combine the pineapple juice, orange juice concentrate, lemonade concentrate, 1/2 cup water and sugar.

In a blender, cover and process the bananas, strawberries and remaining water until smooth. Stir into the juice mixture. Cover and refrigerate. Just before serving, stir in ginger ale. Yield: 25-30 servings (about 5 quarts). This is very sweet, hits the spot, but make it for a big group.

No comments: