Monday, June 8, 2009

This last weekend

This last weekend was whirling busy, but pretty fun, too...

Saturday was my students' Spring recital. 30 people actually fit in my living room! Praise the Lord, it went great without a hitch! Of course, I'd been prepping quite a bit for the evening. A couple days before I made up prize bags, certificates and programs. Then Friday, I baked and put together food; specifically oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, banana cake, Jell-o jigglers, avocado salsa (I'll post the recipe sometimes soon!), cheese & crackers, and tropical punch (another recipe to share). Actually, some of the food was done on Saturday, but that was the overall goody menu. Then on Saturday, Mike mowed the lawns, set up chairs and I planted some potted flowers, cleaned up the deck, and did all the last-minute stuff. We obviously work like a team because I actually had make-up on, hair done, Brilla dressed (with mouth wiped), candles lit, dinner cooked/eaten by the time students arrived! Next year, sadly, I can't have the recital at my home. There will be too many students...probably double the guests. Can you believe I wasn't able to take pictures of the first recital here? But as the teacher, I guess I couldn't be taking photos the whole time...I'd miss out on their hard work performance. It was so much fun and only lasted an hour!

On Sunday I played for offertory, and that is always interesting because I am always nervous whenever I have to play solo in front of people. I feel like it's it's my recital. If only my students knew. I always tell them, though, that nothing is worse than my most embarrassing moment, which happened at my first recital at age nine. After I had played my song, I promptly hurled. And, yes, I had to walk down the whole aisle, all eyes staring, with the stuff all over me.

Don't worry, it hasn't happened since, and will *not* happen again :)

Sunday night we played ultimate Frisbee with people from church, mainly the senior high/college group. There were some younger and older sprinkled throughout as well. The event was to say "farewell" in a fun way to one of the college girls who is going off to minister at camp for the summer...part of her college major, I believe. Needless to say, we had a blast. Whew! I have not played ultimate in a while, so the first round was like, "Whoa, I'm out of shape!" After the initial oomph, however, I got in the groove of things. Unfortunately, our team lost. We were ahead for a while, but then the other team (which my husband was on) got on a winning streak, and we didn't come back! Oh well. It still left me wanting to play more Frisbee this summer. What a competitive and awesome game. My body is not "sorely" regretting the game (get it??) like I thought it would, but even a couple days later, I'm still tired.

Please pray for my husband and his crew, that work will steadily come in. Much is at a stand-still right now. We personally are being provided for; we're paying bills, etc. And there is work trickling in. We are excited how God has provided all along, however, and are not worrying over the state of the economy. In fact, it's kind of challenging to be creative these days.

The weather has been beautiful lately. I've been watering my flowers and yard, and taking wonderful walks with Brilla. Perhaps Daddy will join us today :)

Have a blessed Tuesday!

No comments: