Sunday, March 1, 2009

A Heart SO Full!

Have you ever been so full of blessing that your heart might simply burst with its thankfulness?? "God, I can't handle any more!" Well, that is how I feel right now. Nothing out of the ordinary has happened, but I just feel totally blessed. And I don't deserve it. God is so good to us every hour, of every day, of every week.

This is my thankfulness post, and I just want to list some things I feel are God's gifts to me and my family.

  1. My husband has work! In this economy, we should be without work and our business dissolved. But God has seen fit to let the opposite happen. We never know what is around the corner, but I never fail to trust Him for the unknown. I think He's done a pretty good job so far, all on His own.
  2. I have the most wonderful neighbors. They have been so good to us! Our neighbors to the right gave Brilla very generous Christmas gift (and we didn't even plan on giving them anything with our tight budget!), as well as beautiful flowers at Amelia's memorial. And they are not even believers! What an example to me to let God's love flow through me. I have no excuse. Our neighbors to the left, I have recently discovered, are believers! Wow, 4 years living by each other and we didn't even know! Maybe we need to be a little more observant! They gave us a meal during our hard time. Lorina and I also have husbands both in the construction arena, so we've been praying for each other in that. And added bonus just lately, all three of us neighbors (mommies and kiddos) have been getting together for playdates. Our neighbors right across from us (we live in a cul-de-sac) have given us toys and such their daughter has grown out of (she's 13!). Also, Michaela has babysat Brilla on numerous occasions. See, I told you what great neighbors we have. This is an answer to prayer, as Michael and I asked the Lord to give us wonderful neighbors and opportunities to reach out ourselves.
  3. Awesome friends! I have so many dear, close friends. I don't think God likes to leave us alone on our journey through life. We need encouragement, accountability and fellowship! They may not know it, but when my friends have invited me over or out, it's always been right when I've needed it. It's easy when we're going through a hard time to close up and keep away. Though there's definitely time for that, there's time when we then need to feel the embrace of a friend, whether metaphorically or physically. Praise God! Always helps to have a bit of coffee to top it off! :D Also, our kids can grow and play together, and that is such a fun thing as well.
  4. Bible Study Fellowship. BSF is a huge international ministry, with masses of women who just want to study God's Word, unadulterated. Our group in Federal Way has been such a blessing. Do you notice I keep using that word a lot? Well, I mean it! And it happens to be only about 8 minutes from my home? How cool is that? The Bible study format has us meet together for songs, split up into small groups, then come together again for lecture. I know all the women in our small group were meant to be there, because so many of them have spoken to my heart with their honest answers and insights into Scripture. My leader, Amalea, brought me a meal right after we lost Amelia and was there for me on the phone to cry with me and simply say, "I'm so sorry". In fact, about 4 of the women came up to me to say, "I'm sorry for what you've experienced. I'm praying for you." Some gave a hug, some just gave tears. No drastic wise words, no expectations. Just love. And what's crazy is that some of them have said I've helped them. I don't know how in the world that could be, but thank the Lord that even through a broken vessel, His light still shines.
  5. My family. I don't know what I would do without my parents and in-laws. They have taken care of Brilla numerous times and provided us with many things! I don't think you realize (or at least I didn't) how much you need and appreciate family until you have one of your own. My Mom even takes off her Wednesday afternoons to watch Brilla when I have a fellowship after Bible study (kids aren't allowed). She kind of spends the whole day with us and we love that! Also, I believe I have the best in-laws ever (you can beg to differ!), but they have met so many needs as well as have just been there.
  6. Prayer. I have felt every prayer that has been prayed on my behalf! Seriously. Especially during the very painful moments right after we lost our daughter. The same Holy Spirit that comforts us and doesn't leave us as orphans, is the same Holy Spirit that is inside each of my dear Christian friends. I myself can go to God at any time, anywhere. I can't imagine life without being able to cry out to Him. He's hears us when we pray. The challenge is meeting Him even when we're smooth-sailing and it doesn't seem like we need His help. I know that sounds so crazy. But it's so true. God receives the credit for our health and happiness, He doesn't just want us at our wit's end.

I've been learning this week that most of us aren't content with our lot because we want a lot more. How sadly human that is. I think I'm going to make this thankfulness post a regular thing! It's exactly what I need to get my heart in the right place.

No comments: