Thursday, March 5, 2009

Big Loser

I wanted to give an update on "pound loss". I have lost 13 lbs. Hope this is encouraging to you women...I have never entered the 120's (even when I was in super-duper shape at age 15, playing soccer 4x a week). But 135 is healthy for my height, age and activity level. I'm sure I could lose more if I worked at toning my abs and such, but I'm really not in the "power body" mindset these days.

I am currently back to wearing size 6! Isn't that wonderful? I went through my clothes in the garage the other day...it's like going shopping without spending money. Of course, my reward when all is done is to pick out some new stuff. I have not bought any new clothing for myself, except last month for my transition size. And those were 2 pairs of pants from the thrift store amounting to $15. Before I do that, I want to consult some sort of "professional" advice about the basics that should be in my closet. Anyway, whole nuther story.

So. I've been working out every.single.day. Except Sundays. No excuses. That has been hard, but I just pretend I'm one of the contestants on Biggest Loser. Hehe. Sometimes it works, and sometimes reality rules over imagination and I just have to GO. I usually run on the treadmill (about 4.5 to 5 miles) or elliptical machine for about 7 miles. As much as I can do in an hour. I tried the Step Sculpt class and I have to admit - I am NOT coordinated. Since I'm trying so hard to figure out the footwork, I'm unable to get my heart rate up and therefore, the class is a flump for me. I'm gonna try the spinning class again. It is kick butt hard!! But it feels great afterward. You lose about 700/800 calories per class.

And my eating. Yes, I've had to control it. Please understand, I LOVE food. I've just had to learn how to make the most out of my calories. I take in about 1632 calories a day. I've read you shouldn't go below 1400, but that number could be a tad high. Just never go below 1000! Your body cannot thrive healthily under that amount per day.

My challenge for the week? To cut out the mochas. I've discovered that tall decaf nonfat caramel macchiatos (doesn't come with whip) are only 140 calories. I am a coffee wimp, so my espresso must be sweet. But I'm just experimenting what cutting even those out will do for my body.

Wish me luck!

3 comments:

The Smiths said...

So I dont know if you would like it but its always worth a try...I found doing the "poor mans latte" which is really an americano with all the same flavoring in it so you could do a mocha but it is made with water instead of milk and then you just add your half and half ( I only do a splash)...sounds gross but it accually is quite satisfying...also cheaper :) I dont know you may not like it. So you would order a "mocha americano with a little room for cream" ;-) Give it a try you may be pleasently suprised :) When I switch to drinking thses instead of my white mochas I seem to do better in the weight loss catagory. I commend you though for how much you have lost that is GREAT keep up the good work!

Joy said...

Thanks, Shannon. I will definitely try it! Sounds like a nice compromise...I get my chocolate :)

outdoor.mom said...

thats a good idea. i should try that.