Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Cost of Obedience

This is recorded more for my sake than for delightful blog reading, but here are my notes this morning at our Bible study lecture. Btw, we are studying the Life of Moses currently Numbers Ch. 13-14:

Do I find it difficult to trust God? Who am I more like, Caleb and Joshua or the other 10 spies?
We need to be women that not only have faith in our hearts, mind, and mouth, but also in our actions.

Big Truth #1 - A good leader always gives good, clear, concise, and measurable instructions. God has given us instructions and promises all throughout Scripture. Take Him at His Word! If God says it, then it is TRUE!

Big Truth #2 - Fear sees the obstacles; faith sees the opportunities. Who/what are the giants in my life? What is keeping me from growing, from moving on? Maybe the world is too tempting; perhaps fear has us stopped in our tracks.

God, please build my faith!

Big Truth #3 - Fear is like a contagious disease. Are we remorseful or repentant? Remorse is feeling bad we got caught or our flaw was pointed out, but repentance is getting on our knees and changing our ways.

Moses is re-tested. God says, "I'm sick of these complaining and ungrateful people! Stand back, Moses, I'm going to annihilate these people and make you a greater nation!" But Moses, the meek man, passes the test. He is more concerned about the reputation of God being tarnished and the glory of God being diminished, than personal gain. He reminds God of His plan for His people, His forgiveness, and mercy. But He also reminds God of His justice.

Are we able to pass whatever test God puts us through? Again, and again?

God forgives the Israelites, but not without consequences.

Big Truth # 4 - When we don't believe God's promises, we receive His punishment.
How do we continue to stand on His promises and build on them? Tips: Know the Word of God, Read the Word of God, Meditate on the Word, Pray God's Word, Obey God's Word and Share God's Word. What is the point of keeping His promises secret, His Good News quiet? We need to make it public.

Big Truth #5 - There are very serious consequences for people who lead other people away from God.

All the spies who spread the negative rumors of "It can't be done!" were killed almost instantly. They are the ones who conjured up a lack of faith within the people. They used their influence for evil rather than good. And they had the promise of God Himself with them, to fight their battles and conquer the Promised Land!

Big Truth #6 - The cost of obedience is nothing compared to the cost of disobedience.

Instead of going ahead with the battle plan and dwelling in a land full of milk and honey and the presence of God, they had to wander in the desert 40 years. All those 20 years and above would
die in the wilderness, all except for Caleb and Joshua, and the children. But even their children had to bear a hard burden in the desert because of their parents and elders' disobedience.

What's changed in my life in the last 6 weeks? What is keeping me from moving ahead on God's agenda for my life? Seek Him about it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I cannot tell you just how personally convicted I am by this message. There are so many areas in which I am feeble. Just downright weak. In my pride, I think I'm doing good, but compared to where I should be, I have fallen short. "Where God wants us" looks different for everybody, but His Word does not shift. But the key is repentance in our disobedience, then walking the road. Perhaps you have already gotten through the repentance area and are struggling and need exhortation on your journey. You can do it! What God has brought you to, He will bring you through. God does not change, it is us that need to change.

There is much more I'd love to expound on, but I know you have kitchens to clean and dinner to make.

Happy Wednesday~

No comments: