Monday, January 16, 2012

Up Early

Baby is kicking in the wee hours this morning. I just can't get back to sleep. I had a good prayer time, I've tried counting sheep. I've been up since 4:30 and decided to make hay and post.

Just bought chalkboard paint this week. I'm making my sweet Girl's letters for her wall. At minimum, it costs $30 for inexpensive letters at Bed, Bath and Beyond. So, I decided to get creative.

I have these real cheap framed mirrors (5 of them to be exact) from the local craft store I've been unable to use for about 3 plus years. Always stopped/started using them for an art project, but they just always seemed tacky and useless. I should have posted a before photo to show their ruggedness, but I think of those things too late.

They seemed perfect for the letter project though. I painted the frames with satin acrylic multi-purpose paint. I still didn't like the mirrored look (why did I buy them then?), so decided to cover them with chalkboard paint! Yes, you can paint glass with it. You usually have to roughen up the glass before painting, but I cheated and used the back side of the mirrors instead, which already had some kind of coating.

At this point, I was in the rhythm of things. My favorite projects are the ones that come from materials I already have.

Using some cheap chalk, decorative ribbon, a hot glue gun and old shower curtain rings, I finished off the cute, red/black/white letters.

I am excited that these little chalkboards cost me about $1 each, and the rest was stuff I had stowed away. The only expensive thing was the chalkboard paint, running at $14.97 a can. However, there is a ton left I can use on other blossoming ideas. We may have little framed chalkboards all over the house now, ha!

Now, I'm feeling a bit sleepy-eyed and will try to get more "Zzzzs".

Oh, and I promise to post a pic of the letters after they are hung on the wall!

No comments: