Monday, January 23, 2012

Tonight is girls night IN. My two girls and I hang out, doing whatever fancies our whimsy. For Katie, it is taking every doggone item out of the sticker folder, piano prize box, and relocating said items to different areas of our home. For Brilla, it is practicing her piano. I saw her working on her homework earlier. Now I glance over to see her counting with head bobs and having perfect posture as she sits. (Do you sense a bit of mommy/teacher pride here?) I am pleased, because I did not ask her to do this, yet there she is, actually enjoying her piano time!

As for me, I choose to post quickly before bath time.

Our weekend seemed to last forever. As seen in earlier posts, it snowed up here. With Western Washington snow, however, comes the melting of snow, then refreezing, then more snow. It really is glorious until the grand finale: toppling trees and branches, no electricity in our homes, and the need to escape to a warm place. I

My in-laws were the welcoming escape. They are a bit south and experienced only a slight loss of power, which was quickly mended by the warm wood-burning stove. Which was even better mended by the power coming on 4 hours later. My sweet mother-in-law quickly greeted us with fresh-out-of-the-oven chocolate oatmeal butterscotch cookies and a hug. The perfect medicine for chilled bones! They let us share two and a half days with them. Did I mention the cousins and auntie showed up as well since their power went out? It was like a family reunion :)

Meanwhile, it was film time. We watched Ratatouille, Toy Story 3, Monsters Inc, Cars 2, Beauty & the Beast, to name a few. Grandpa Dick made a huge pot of stew for the second night of dinner. As I took in the full table and busyness, I was given a glimpse of what it would be like to live with 12 people altogether in one house.

It was a very fun mini-vacation, but might I confess, it was good to be back in our small home, with heat on, Sunday evening. Never thought I'd enjoy washing dishes and laundry as I did then.

There is still a frozen layer around us, but it is thin. And, I wouldn't mind another snow, except I would love for our electricity to stay on. And to be able to drive out of our cul-de-sac. I will just be content with a beautiful snow having passed and getting back into the rainy winter as usual.

And work on this Baby coming out! Here is hoping we see her precious face soon.

No comments: