Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Today is St. Patrick's Day! A happy one to you! My husband is the one with the red hair, yet I am the one who is one-quarter Irish. My granddad is full-blooded Irish (McDivitt). Of course, I am half-Filipino, so the Irish in me is quite unrecognizable! But we are celebrating tonight at McCormick & Schmick's, our truly favorite restaurant. We are taking the little one along. Hopefully, we can get a date night to ourselves before Baby comes, but I wanted B to come along this time.

I am so restless. Tomorrow Katie will be 39 weeks along and counting...according to my original due date, March 25th. After the ultrasound check-up, my date was moved back to April 1st. So who knows, April might be more accurate.

They moved back Brilla's original due date as well, and she arrived 9 days early!! Goes to show, only God knows when Baby Katie will come.

Meanwhile, as I mentioned, I am restless. I am finishing up Katie's room, and still buying a few things I need/want for her here and there. It's a satisfying feeling to know I'm a bit more prepared this time.

I have been trying to walk and move as much as possible. Anything to get this Baby movin'! On Monday, we went to Target, a local park, and another consignment store. On Tuesday, we went to Issaquah for our friend, Caden's, birthday party! What a fun time playing and eating! Then after that, we did a bit of shopping...found B some rain boots and the aforementioned swaddling blankets, at yet another consignment shoppe.

Today we hope to go downtown and look around at the different storefronts. Another favorite consignment is that way. Can you tell we're addicted to these places? We may even visit another park. Any way we can get the visiting sun to seep into our bodies.

Meanwhile, my cooking itch has come back. Monday night, I made some delicious oven-baked cod with homemade fries and steamed carrots. Then I hope to make a hearty casserole tomorrow.

I'm been reading my "Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn" book all over again to re-prepare myself on the whole labor and delivery process. One thing for sure, it's a long, painful road. Even if my first birth was only 8 hrs from first contraction to arrival, it seemed like an eternity. I'm sure this will be none the different! I do "enjoy" natural births, in a sense. My mid-wife specializes in getting Baby out quickly. I think this is helped by such a soothing and relaxing atmosphere. I am also bringing my lavender aromatherapy, as well as my Chris Rice CD. Afterward, both B and I were very alert, and ready to go home after a couple of hours. Back to our own bed and bathroom. Some moms enjoy the hospital stay, and can't say I blame them. Often in our homes, we're tempted to get right back in the swing of things. Thankfully, I have a husband who is very sweet and takes over for a while. So being back home so soon is very relaxing.

Some of the activities my book encourages during the "latent phase" of labor is visiting with friends, listening to music, watching a movie, dancing (yeah, right) or playing cards or other games. Others they mention are working on a hobby, preparing some one-dish meals to freeze and enjoy after birth, or baking bread or a birthday cake. Anything fun, calming or distracting, but not exhausting. I just have one question: Why would a woman want to cook while in labor, if it's hard enough while prego? You can count me out of that one. Well, who knows. Women in labor do strange things.

No comments: