Thursday, August 13, 2009

date night and the bros

Our date night before last came out of a sad circumstance, really. My father-in-law has cellulitis (sp?) in his leg and has to heal quite a bit more. His Father's Day gift from my husband was a Mariners game! Unfortunately, his leg is still patching up. So someone had to use up the extra ticket. Later, M will be buying his dad another pair of tickets so they can finally go together.

So we went and really had an awesome time. A couple posts ago I said we were going on a date, but that didn't work out. This was a much needed getaway! My parents took Brilla for the night, and I'm sure they did not spoil her rotten with attention...and lots of sugar ;)

I am extremely ancy during pregnancy, so I had to walk around the field quite a few times. My pregnant nose and I were hard at work, too...all the smells from the concessions tempting me repeatedly. I said to M, "If another polish with sauerkraut passes me by, so help me!" Did I mention my pregnant nose and taste are fickle as well? Since I'm trying to stay away from nitrates, I didn't have the polish but ordered a huge bbq chicken sandwich instead. I took 2 bites, and couldn't go on...I didn't like the taste. Horrible waste, eh? But I did eat all the salty potato chips! Go figure.

I think my husband said something like, "Honey, I think you're supposed to be watching the game, not the food."

A few innings later, I was spooning up a soft-serve cup of ice cream. Hey - it was 14 innings long.

Seriously. Neither team scored until the bottom of the 14th. It was Ken Griffey, Jr. who made the winning hit! I haven't seen him play since he joined up again with the Mariners, so that was pretty special to see.

----------------------------

Lately, I've been hanging out with my bros, who are home for the summer. When we were younger, we fought like cats and dogs. We've matured (somewhat, haha) and grown to be close friends. I think that's very common among families. Time does change some things.

I've been able to snag a few rounds of pool, in which they always win. We've also had many lunches at Costco, which we've exhausted. Not another piece of pizza, please! But we've also had great talks. I will miss those the most. I think Brilla will miss them, too. She calls them "the uncles" and absolutely adores them. She loves spending time with them and making them laugh. Basically being the center of their attention.

S is the youngest of the fam, and at 18, will enter his sophomore year at Pensacola, majoring in PreLaw, minoring in Music. He's an amazing pianist, so no surprise there. He's very interested in politics as well. B, the thinker of the clan, is my oldest younger brother. At 21, he is graduated with a BA in Electrical Engineering, but going back for more. He's getting his Masters in Business Management, I believe, or something like that, I could be wrong. All I know is, we won't see him for another 3 years (except for Christmas breaks and summers, of course). Meanwhile, he is looking for possible internships and jobs during the summers. We would all love for him to be at least within the state of WA when he lands a job, but obviously, that is totally up to him...and God!

I often envy their college experience. They've created great memories. I have them too, but I didn't finish my degree, which stinks in some ways, but also doesn't in others, because I know it God had an ultimate plan for it all. Who knows, maybe some day I'll get on that band wagon of interior design...while my husband becomes a general contractor - our dream goals!

Right now, I'm downright content being a mommy and wife. Ah, a super blessed life!!

1 comment:

Song said...

I can't believe how grown up your brothers are! Of course, it should come as no surprise given how my own siblings have followed suit, but cool to see anyway.

As a childhood friend, I don't remember you guys fighting, but I do remember being impressed at how much responsibility you had and how much they respected their big sister. You did a great job - practicing at being a mommy even then!

I'm so excited and thankful to the Lord that you are pregnant again. The first trimester is always challenging, but the joy-filled blessing of the Lord sometimes begins as a challenge, and it will be so worth it! You were made for this.

And as far as that degree goes, I finished mine, but haven't used it one bit before or during motherhood - maybe someday. But the job of mommy is the best job a woman could have. However, that interior design bug could definitely hit me - I love that stuff :)

Bless you, Joy!