Friday, April 30, 2010

National Honesty Day



"He is the Rock, His work is perfect: for all His ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is He." Deuteronomy 32:4

I guess today is National Honesty Day. Who knew? Started by M. Hirsh Goldberg in the early 90's, he said, "April Fools Day begins with a day dedicated to lying (April Fool's Day), and should end on a higher moral note."

In all honesty, let me say I was going to take it easy and finish watching Nacho Libre with a mug of hot chai to start my day. There would be no problem with this, except that I usually start my day with reading God's Word. I'm not disappointed to say I chose the latter after all...even though I will most definitely get to my movie after this post :D I hardly watch movies at home during the day. I never have time and if I do, never get through more than 5 min chunks. This is a special treat!

Honesty Day or not, this gives us a chance to think about honesty and truthfulness. It's a trait all those who follow Jesus should take seriously. Especially since we know God is truth and cannot lie.

There is such a tendency to tell half-truths, white lies, and stretchy truths. Basically, all facades. Why is it so hard to say what we mean and mean what we say? I think we've forgotten the power of honesty. The power of being able to trust someone's word. There is great comfort and endurance in that.

So today (and tomorrow and the next), honesty will be in the forefront of my mind. I am striving to make sure my word can be trusted. We serve a God whose Word is rock on which we stand, should we not emulate that?

Here are some "truth" Scriptures to think about: Deut. 32:4, Num. 23:19, Heb. 6:18, Prov. 6:16-19, Jn. 8:44, Prov. 13:5, 1 Cor. 13:6, Col. 3:9, 1 Pet. 2:1, Prov. 12:17-22.

No comments: