Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A Lesson to be Learned


I am sitting with my leg propped up wishing I was up and at 'em.

The past few days I discovered that my upper inside thigh was very sensitive to the touch, but there was no bruising or swelling at all. I've never had this happen before. Then, just yesterday, I discovered a lump on my upper thigh, where it connects to my abdomen. So I called the doctor, and they got me an appointment right away! Good thing it was Monday morning, not Friday afternoon.

The nurse practitioner saw me and knew what it was almost right away. She said it was a swollen lymph node and inflamed nerves. Whew. Though I'm glad it was not cancer-related, she did let me know that it is still serious. This is the perfect scenario to have some neurological problems, seeing that I just had a baby, am nursing, I'm getting little sleep, and just recovered from a bad cold. Babies are like little parasites! They suck it all out of you. She said I've probably been doing more than I should, sooner than I should. I need to control my activity (like not go to the Spring Fair and walk around for 4 hours, 2 weeks after I have baby!). Basically only do what's necessary. And I need to boost my immune system by taking, in addition to my prenatal vitamin, 2000 mg of Vitamin C daily.

Well, I'm learning my lesson about taking it easy after having a baby. Especially when you have more than one child. I think I've also exhausted Brilla, because after I climbed out of my bath, it was completely silent. She is napping like a newborn in our bed room. Poor girl. I'll bet I'm not the only one not getting woken up by Katie in the middle of the night :(

Oh, and to boot, I have this random infection just below my knee. It started with an ingrown hair, which I promptly removed. But then the spot got infected and has gotten red and puffy. So I just took a bath in Epsom salt and am about to put a little Neosporin on top. My left leg is basically shot. It hurts to walk around. Please leg, heal soon!!

2 comments:

Susannah Forshey said...

:( I'm soo sorry to hear you're dealing with such random illnesses! Once again, I'm watching/reading about you as a sort of precautionary tale of what 2 girls will be like in a few weeks for me. I turned down an offer of my sister to come stay with me after Grace is born......maybe I'll take her up on it. I know that without Ben here, it's going to be even more strain getting "normal" household stuff done. I'll be praying for you, Joy, that God restores your strength and health.

Joy said...

Thanks so much, Susi. Yeah, this leg thing is so random :( and very annoying. I have no choice but to sit more and stand less. It's hard with so much to do! But worth it in the long run. You should def take up your sister's offer. I would! Just even for some comradery. Word of advice, take 2000 mg of Vit C immediately postnatal! Ounce of prevention worth a pound of cure :)