Friday, February 13, 2009

Valentine's Day and Randomocity

I LOVE Valentine's Day. Reason being, it's a special day I get to have alone time with Michael. Not all day, but at least for about 3 or 4 hrs in the evening. Especially after our long weeks, it's wonderful just to be able to focus on each other. The other day, I thought "Maybe I'll just bring Brilla with us this year." Nah. That thought was short-lived. All I need is a morning like today to change my mind. We had a Mama vs. B struggle ALL morning, plus a potty accident, plus, a very runny nose. Blended together amounts to one grande fiasco! It was fun to get away with a friend, though, and recuperate over hot Reuben sandwiches and coffee. Ahhh.


Back to Valentine's Day. So, last night I made reservations at Gino's Bistro. Everywhere else is obviously booked. What was I thinking?? Glad to actually get something at 4:30 p.m. and not far away. So there you have it...we're going to dinner! Mike surprised me a couple years ago at this place and so I thought we'd go again. It has a sort of nondescript exterior, but is beautiful inside and has amazing entrees and a very romantic atmosphere. A little pricey, but hey, it's worth it for just one night!


Earlier in the day we're going to do something fun together, the 3 of us. Don't know yet. Maybe go the park? Maybe hike? Perhaps sleep in. That sounds the best yet. In the afternoon, I'm playing at Weatherly Inn Retirement for a Valentine's Day entertainment session. It should be special, seeing I love making elderly people smile, as well as help them have a good time. I'm hoping to play a handful of songs they know. A ton of Rodgers & Hammerstein, as well as just some old 40s picks...like "Louise"... "Every little breeze whispers Hello Louise..."


The other day, someone asked me, "How do you find the time to blog? I don't have extra in my day!" The answer is simple. You always make time for the things you absolutely enjoy doing. Blogging is my hobby, among others. I love it. I've journaled and done creative writing my whole life. So quite naturally, I make time for it. As well as decorating my home, organizing, crafts, shopping, getting together with friends. Haha. You get my drift.... ;) I don't have multiple children and don't work full-time, so I have that on my side. But that doesn't stop THIS GAL! Or THIS ONE! Or even HER! In fact, they inspire me so much! I'm glad blogging is their hobby, too :)


I am a schedule person. Can anyone relate to this? My daytimer is my best friend. I have everything written down I want to accomplish that day, along with time increments. I don't always get everything done. But at least I know what I missed, and what's leftover to haunt me!

This does NOT mean I am the most organized person in the world, neither am I always on time...that's still on my list of things to do ;P But seriously, I get excited when I open my new daytimer Christmas gift! And it goes everywhere with me. Woohoo. Some would call that weird. And it probably is.


But I still leave room for last-minute getaways and randomocity. I can't be so rigid that I never have time to break away and meet a friend, or do finger painting with my daughter. Variety is the spice of life! If all I did every. stinking.morning. was eat breakfast, get dressed, workout, lunch, naptime, blah blah blah, I would be bored out of my wits! My husband goes to play basketball with the guys during the week. It gives him a chance to get away from it all! I see it as an opportunity to get projects done, whether at home or away, that I wouldn't normally get to. I think getting away from husband or wife or kids is often a good time to re-focus and gives greater appreciation for our family.


So be random and get away from the house at night by yourself or let your hubby get away. Or don't be afraid to accept that invitation to a friend's house for dinner on a weeknight
(even if you need to bring the kids!). You'll see what I mean. Sometimes we need to get outside the box to reenergize and experience new things! You never know what God has in store.

No comments: