Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Importance of Prayer

There are so many things in life that could easily weigh me down. And at times, they do. Sometimes rough situations are not our fault, but the anxiety and stress we choose to hold on to, is.

I have found a few temporary outlets for these feelings of burden...journaling, cleaning, shopping, and even talking about it with friends. But the only permanent solution is taking things to God in prayer. And leaving them there. Another godly woman said it best, "It's a dangerous place to be waiting on God, then decided that you've waited too long." It's so easy to say "I am trusting, God please help", then once again give into the temptation to try to fix things with our human, finite, limited tools. To take action out of impatience or fear is oh-so dangerous.

Yesterday found me burdened about several problems, then reflecting on my situation, realized those problems weren't even my responsibility! It was refreshing to know what I could do, the best thing I could do, was pray. I asked Him to help me give up my pride, selfishness, critical spirit, worry and other icky gunk (sin) inhabiting my heart. Then to fill me with His Spirit, His love, His joy, His patience, faithfulness, goodness, peace and self-control. His yoke is so much easier then struggling through the flesh. It's freeing. His burden is light!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

That's a great reminder Joy! I know it is SO hard to continue to turn to Him with our worries and not try o "fix it" ourselves. Thanks for writing this post; I appreciate that you're willing to share your heart with us!

meandmyboys said...

Thanks for your words of encouragement and truth! You are a blessing! :)