Saturday, May 4, 2013

God has been whispering in my ear lately..."take time for people and show a little love." I'm a doer and I like to get things done. I get on a roll, sometimes running over my own children and I just don't slow down to take in the fresh breath of life. My definition of a successful day would be a checked off checklist. A clean house. School work done. I'm not an unfeeling person, just a driven one that needs to be reminded of relationships once in a while.

So, I felt a pull to go a different direction this last week. Because of audit preparation (thank goodness it's over!) and sickness, school was on hold. The girls and I have had such a fun time together. Having Easter egg hunts even though it's not Easter, playing out in the sun as much as possible, thinking of art projects, and going to the park. I have been able to spend extra one-on-one time getting to know my girls better.

I'm always telling and directing. Taking more time to listen to my children. Hard to do.

I called my grandma. We had a marvelous chat, long overdue. How I would love to visit her. But a trip to the Midwest is a long haul. Grandma is my sister in Christ and we always talk long and deep. I am always interested to hear what she has been learning lately. Trust in the sovereignty of God. How much I need that too.

I also took time to stop and talk to my neighbors this week. One instance was especially poignant. A girl that was in our summer Bible club at our home (she's now 15!) was out in her yard. Normally I would just drive by and just wave, but it must have been the Holy Spirit that told me to pull over and chat. We talked about boyfriends, temporary love and other deep girl stuff. Such a sweet girl with a soft heart, but comes from a rough home life and I pray that some day in her life she will surrender fully to Jesus.

The biggest relationship I'm trying to make time for is the Lord. Because I want to. Sometimes my heart isn't in the right place and I don't pray. Maybe I do, but it's mechanical and cold hearted and just sad words that fall as flat as the affect. Just talking with God and thanking Him for all he's done, is going to do. Amazement at his awesomeness. Confession because I'm sinful. He always forgives, always hears.

It's necessary to get things done, but necessary to listen to the Holy Spirit. That includes stopping my selfish tendencies and caring for someone who needs it. I pray I don't bypass a hurting heart, a needy soul.

No comments: