Thursday, May 16, 2013

In Love

I don't know about you, but I am in love with Spring. Especially Spring 2013. The sun has been pouring in, the flowers are in full bloom, and I am not pregnant. To which I attribute my ability to get  out and get my lawn looking nice again.

After all the sweaty hours, my yard is mostly free of weeds. First time in two years!

Bright yellow lilies wink at me from the right border of my lawn, as well as some pretty purplish blooms, whose names I am not familiar with. Hostas thrive in our shady areas, as well as some new groundcovers to hide the unsightly septic tank and aid me in my desire not to weed frequently. I also have a rose bush and lilac bush struggling to make it on the outskirts. Though I placed them in the sun and frequently use plant food, I can't help but feel worried they won't make it. Please, work a miracle.

I also have delightful tomatoes, primroses, carnation relatives, mint, azaleas and peonies yet to make their way into the ground. I am waiting for the rain the subside to order a load of bark to top it all off. Remember I actually weeded this year? I want to keep those beasties out.

Another amazing benefit of Spring here, is the natural curtain the trees provide to give us privacy from the neighbors. Though I love the brilliance of Fallish reds and oranges, by Winter the trees are sadly bare, making us a fishbowl for surrounding houses. Green and full, the trees currently stretch out their glory and hide us a bit. Just nice to throw open wide the curtains and not see another face staring back at us from across the back lawn.

My girls spend half their day playing out in the yard. In proportion to how small our home is, we have a huge back yard, about a quarter of an acre. That sounded minuscule to my sister-in-law, who has 10 plus acres, but for the city, that's pretty good. The sun has allowed the girls to jump on their new trampoline, sit or play on the deck, ride their bikes and scooters, or just do whatever they feel like doing. I also see it as getting our Vitamin D. And I am not kidding. Did you know our state has the highest rate of breast cancer? And it's attributed to lack of Vitamin D. Getting our vitamins never felt so good.

I am looking forward to more sun, more planting and more playing. Before that, however, we need to finish school. One more reason to enjoy Spring...a farewell to all things first grade!




No comments: