Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Somehow, Reese got a stomach bug and has been sick the last couple days. . There had been a bug going around our church and I thought we had missed it since we were gone for a week due to Brilla's cold. Obviously, it lingered and my youngest has got it. Reese has been very docile, had a hard time this afternoon with a fever, and has not eaten much. Trying to tend to her, keep up with school work, and do yard work is wearing me out.

However, I am thoroughly enjoying this sun...the reason for getting yard work done. My mother-in-law and I concocted a plan for my yard. It was random - she had come over to watch the girls during an audit - and I started talking about how this year I wanted to freshen up the yard since I'd let it go these last couple Springs. With babies and all, one is not motivated to pick up a shovel and dig upon weeds. Anyway, we started walking around the yard and talking about this idea and that. So fun to dream! And my m-i-l loves to garden. It's been invigorating though lots of work. I have a plan, but it will basically take me all Spring to finish. Mike isn't available to help so I've got to come up with a manageable plan. I have these huge expectations and I've a feeling they might need to be lowered until I can get extra help.

I'd like to haul in a bunch of beauty bark. We have a new nursery by our house but hoping to compare their prices with another place not that much further away. When it comes to all things green, or plants, I'm rather dumb. Maybe I should get my book out that an old friend gave me about making your soil less clayish and what plants to have in shady areas. Either that, or just consult am expert at the local nursery. Finally I've gotten smart enough to realize that perennials are the perfect solution to not having to plant every year. Ground covers, white rocks, a bird bath, a bench and simple walking stones are other details I have in my plan :) My parents were extremely generous this last weekend. They joined us for a get together at our house, and bore gifts of a gorgeous hanging fuchsia, and tomato plants! I was thrilled and told them it could be my Mother's Day gift...which made them laugh because they had completely forgotten about that.

Speaking of Mother's Day, I haven't the slightest clue as to what to get mine. I don't have time to make anything, but thinking of something for her garden.

As for trying to finish off this school year, it's going pretty slow. Brilla is having a hard time concentrating with the sun out. Her cough is getting the best of her and we are hoping to get a prescription for her antibiotics by the end of the week, if it doesn't let up. I feel like I'm pulling teeth to get her to sit and focus. Good thing it's May and not September or we'd really be in trouble!

It is supposed to be in the 80s this Friday. Thinking of surprising the girls with a visit to the beach. Perhaps one that is cleaner than the one closest to us. Looking forward to seeing them use their buckets and shovels!

I am finishing up another Julie Klassen read. My tablet makes it so much easier for me to keep up with reading. I can take it anywhere and read hands free. Haven't been to the library lately. Ever since being able to access our videos and books online, and with this nice weather, our visits have been scarce.

Sometimes I go on these streaks of no cooking, especially when I have a big project in tow. I am in one now because of the gardening project. It's just so exhausting that I don't feel like spending time in the kitchen. That's where sandwiches, ground beef recipes, and quick cook frozen meals from Costco come in handy. Funny, but sometimes I think we east healthier this way. Fresher food, not baked.

It's bed time. The munchkins have been asleep for a while now (had to comfort one in the middle of writing this). Just so nice to have them sleeping, which is funny to me, seeing their batteries are only recharging to wear me out again tomorrow! Ha! I say that without malice because I love my girls to pieces but boy, are they a handful.

Good night and don't let the bed bugs bite!

No comments: