Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas is so busy and it's not even here yet!

I decided to write about the past few days...I've been so stinkin' busy and haven't had tons of time to write, but this morning, all has slowed with the snow and now I have time.

On Saturday morning, I headed to a Christian book store and bought the girls at Bible club some pretty Princess Bibles. They were on sale for only 12.50. That's half off! I didn't notice the pink and purple were different versions. So I was able to find another purple, but was still left with one pink. Oh well!

Next, Bri and I headed off to Violet and Aidon's 2nd birthday party! I kept pumping up B about it...."you'll have lots of fun, and you can draw pictures"...etc., ad nauseum. I think B was thinking, "maybe you should just go, Mom!" :D Truth is, she had a grand time, and wouldn't you know, I forgot my camera! Always happens. Thanks Susi and Desi for a great time at the Children's Museum. Our family will have to go again just by ourselves. Daddy would get a kick out of all the activity. Next, we headed to Ben and Susi's for food, gifts and talking! Susi made a mean homemade pizza along with yummy cupcakes. At the end, the oh-so-prepared hostesses gave the little guests goodie bags. And Brilla took home 4 balloons. How cool is that! All makes out for a tired mama and toddler. So afterward we headed home for naps.

And woke up just in time for an adult Christmas party! Yay...a night out for Mom and Dad. Matt and Tara hosted a great time. There were lots of decadent desserts and evil appetizers: peppermint rice krispies topped with chocolate, apple pie, lemon bars, Starbucks cranberry bliss bars, avocado & corn salsa (made by me, it actually turned out super good), cranberry/mandarin salsa, baked brie, and there are probably other things I haven't mentioned. It's a good thing I hadn't eaten dinner because all the yummies more than made up for it. Ode to food and friends!

After all the talking and eating, we sat down and sang Christmas carols, while mainly Tara accompanied on the piano. Earlier, Kari and I played a couple impromptu duets. That was so fun!
In fact, we were enjoying ourselves SO much, our sweet, sweet babysitter, Britta, had B until 11 PM! ACck! Obviously, she'll be rethinking the offer to babysit again ;P

Oh, and it SNOWED! Yes, snow in Washington. 'Twas a splendid surprise! Yes, we were extra careful, but very excited, too.

We went to church early the next morning since we teach high school Sunday School. There weren't a whole lot who braved the weather to come. And I don't blame them, really. Snuggle down in bed in warm jammies while snow is just outside, or get up early, dress up, do you hair and come to a freezing cold Sunday School classroom and learn about God? Hmm. Put that way, I guess I'm grateful we did come to church. There are those who would go to great lengths in other countries just to hear God's Word for themselves. But we were definitely desiring to sleep in! I also had nursery duty. And wouldn't you believe that more kiddos in normal were there! Don't the crazy parents know they're supposed to slack off and stay home? I say this tongue-in-cheek. I loved having all the little guys!

That night was also Brilla's Christmas program. It was short, but very cute. Many kids didn't show due to snow and busyness, but the ones who did come made for a precious program. Brilla sang Away in the Manger with the bigger kids, and was surprised she didn't fall over with all the rocking (swaying) she did with the singing. Unplanned choreography is always a nice touch :)
Then she sang a surprise "solo" (solo because she was the only one available) of Jesus Loves Me. She knew it well. Except at the part where I whispered the words to her...she whispered them back thinking she had to be quiet. Then, quit confident in her performance, she felt the need to show everyone her jumps. 1-2-3! Thank you, dear. Uncle Sean and Brian were there, along with Grandpa John. She loved that. Afterward, there were Christmas cookies to munch on.

Though the weekend left us sleepless and fatter (I speak for myself), we had a glorious time!

No comments: