Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Christmas decoration and the best gifts

I've finally about got my whole house decorated :) I like to talk about my Christmas decorations because they weren't bought in a mass of several hours, but rather, over several years.

First, our nativity scenes. They are all miniature. Just this last year I was SO tempted to buy the nativity water globe at Costco. But wouldn't you know, I found it at a garage sale for 5 bucks instead! It's my favorite. A friend from church made a nativity out of mini flower pots, with wooden heads on top. They are too cute. Next, I have a wooden scene, beautifully made with 3 separate figures: Joseph, Mary, and Jesus. I also have a small glassy one that I usually put on the coffee table because the pieces are not easily broken. Lastly is a tea light holder. It's a single base with Mary, Joseph and Jesus all melded into one. The base is widest on the bottom, where you can place a tea light in the back. Very perty.

My Christmas tree lamp is special. A little girl from ballet lessons gave it to me. So sweet.

I also have a tree, um, blanket? What do you all those? Anyway, I purchased this one from CAMA services. Women from Kosovo make several crafts by hand and sell them to receive an income. This is one of their fine works.

My dear friend Sarah gave me a tea light holder/fragrance lamp. The heat from the tea light heats up the dish, which then releases the liquid fragrance. When lit, it cheerfully gives off a design of reindeer.

The kissing bears. My students and other kids always love these! "OOOh, they're kissing!"

I also have a neat Christmas photo album with Scripture inside that I found at Ross. I keep pictures from Christmas' past in there. Also I have the Advent devotional "Let Every Heart" sitting up by the tea light lamp.

A couple holidy trays sit up in the corner. They are vintage and I love them. Usually coupled with some silver beads and other stuff, they look homey and rustic all at once.

I have some lighted candy canes to place in the lawn. Those will be wondrous once I actually find them. Another thing I place in front of the house are holiday sacks that light up. They look like small paper bags with candles inside. But they're actually electrical and thick plastic.

I have two little banners on the window. One reads "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" and the other is a nativity scene. Also by the window is a lighted angel.

I have several other bittys here and there, but not grand enough to mention, or bore you with. You should be grateful I'm not showtelling each of my ornaments :D

Last night at Bible club we talked about the wisemen and the gifts they gave to Jesus. We talked about what Jesus gave us. He gave His very life so that our sins could be washed away. A couple of the girls did not like the fact that the innocent Lamb of God had to be slain. I explained that He was not murdered, but He gave His life willingly. That didn't help, they were still upset. So I backed up and explained to them about the Old Testament sacrifices, then how Christ took our place on the cross as the ultimate sacrifice. "He shouldn't have had to do that!", one of the girls cried. And she's right. It's such a grievous thing that Jesus had to die for our sin. How He died was awful. Sinless Jesus carried the dirt and filth of the entire world on His shoulders. And we should be sorry for our sin.

The girls' eyes lit up with understanding. "He died so we wouldn't have to", the oldest piped up. Yes, isn't that the most amazing love? While we were still yucky with sin, He died for us. Yes, their had to be a shedding of blood for forgiveness of sins. But the good news is, Jesus didn't stay dead. He rose again. And that is why we can go to heaven when we die. Because though our shells give way, our souls live with Him forever. "Only good people go to heaven and bad people to down there", one of them said signaling with her thumb. "Only those who believe that Jesus died for their sins go to heaven," I corrected her. Even our good-looking actions don't get us to heaven. Jesus is the only way. But I know what she's getting at. This little 9 year old girl is bitter at her dad. He is in prison because he's a bad person. Someone God couldn't forgive. Truth is, he's someone only God can forgive. An issue to ,unfortunately, be discussed another night.

"What happens when we believe Jesus died for our sins, but we still make mistakes?" Very good question. Those girls don't know what a spiritual exercise they give me every Monday night.
I explained that since we are human, we will make mistakes even when we try not to. Jesus says if we confess our sins, He will make us clean again. Every day. Not just once a year like the Israelites. And this should make us so humble because without Jesus, we could never be looked on by God with all of our sin. But now when God looks on us, He doesn't see us in our sin, He sees Jesus Christ's righteousness.

For the craft, we each cut out a heart. "What did the wise men give Jesus?", I reviewed. They tried to recite the funny words of gold, frankincense and myhhr (sp?). "What can we give Jesus?" "Our hearts!" Jesus wants us to follow Him. That's all He wants. He doesn't need money or fancy cars. He wants us to walk in His ways and obey His commands. This Christmas, there will be 3 little girls who are giving their hearts to Jesus, wanting to follow Him. Isn't that wonderful?

We will be putting our hearts under the tree for Him, too. It's a wonderful lesson of the true meaning of Christmas and the best gifts of all.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I love this season when it's time to pull out the Christmas decorations.

Song said...

Beautiful descriptions of your home and your precious girls' bible study, Joy. This season is special for so many reasons. Pictures? It would be fun to see your pretty house this time of year!