Monday, February 14, 2011

If there is a word that can describe how I've felt lately and am trying to cultivate the feeling more and more, it's thankful.

As I pray for missionaries in Asia and the little ones in India who have next to nothing, my mind cannot help but realize that though I have a little less than last month, it is still so much more than they ever will have. Just goes to show that richness doesn't consist of things, but perhaps spiritual depth.

One of the easiest ways to become disgruntled with what I have is to look around, and as a result of looking around become discontent. Why do I choose discontent over contentment when I can choose the latter? Human tendency. Selfishness. Okay, let's just call it sin!

So. Lately, I've chosen the former, not due to happy thoughts, but how much I have in the Lord. Really, showers of blessings, is more like it. A husband who is faithful, trustworthy, (might I add handsome?), and a great daddy. Two daughters who I strive to raise in God's ways. A church family that challenges and exhorts me. Parents who love Jesus. Friends who pray for and love me. Wow. All this!

And it even applies to things. When I don't have that very shirt that would match my trousers, I just need to get creative. Money doesn't have to be spent to get happiness. I've realized that shopping for me can become an idol! Something that I grab a hold of that quenches the restlessness inside. Something I lean on, even before I reach for my Bible or kneel down in prayer. Thank you, Holy Spirit, for your patience. I want to be a woman who is thankful in all things and content in You.

Another thing. I've realized that I can't change my circumstances. But I can for sure change how I'm going to respond to them. Some challenging words were spoken at our last Bible study lecture. I can wake up in the morning and grumble, or I can wake up and say, "God, thank you for another day to live." Instead of snapping at my husband because my high expectations aren't being met or because I just am grumpy, realize I can choose to control my actions and attitudes and give him grace. Because I've been shown grace. How many opportunities has God had to wake us up from our stubbornness? Sometimes he painfully shows us, but, most of the time, he gently chides. Oh, that I could be more merciful and gracious like my Savior.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An Update on Real Time :)

We have been focusing on school lately. Brilla is reading!! And loving addition! Her least favorite is Handwriting and poetry/verse memorization. But, I think the teacher needs to do a little tweaking to make it more palatable. Honestly, it feels like I'm the one being home schooled. It's so hard for the parent to be committed to a schedule and follow through. But you know, it's totally rewarding. I'm grateful to be home with my girl to teach her like this.

Brilla's still in ballet and now takes piano lessons. She simply drinks both. In ballet, she's the ahem, wayward student, but we are working on that!! Can you say 'humility' on my part? It's embarrassing to be the parent who's child is acting up. She's taking on more responsibility here at home to improve that and we've seen progress. I think it's also just a part of life.

I am still crocheting my little hands away. I recently completed a hat that I am embarrassed to wear out in public. It has little bobbles all over; it looks like a clown hat! Teehee. Very appropriate for a certain niece of mine who would think it looks cool. Currently, I'm working on a diaper cover for Katie, since I accidentally felted her last one. And now I can post pics since I found my battery charger! Pics to come as soon as I'm done.

I'm also going to learn to *whispering* knit. Mind you, I'm still learning to sew. So, who knows when I really will get to knitting. I have high aspirations for myself. My husband, bless his heart, wishes I'd put down my crochet hooks once in a while and just read next to him or something!

Mike is currently low on work, which is a prayer request. Instead of worrying, however, I know God will provide. Meanwhile, we've been tightening the belt buckle, so to speak.

I'm still teaching piano, just recently started up some beginners. They are cuties! So ready to learn and so excited to hear themselves play :) I've been trying to make it more fun, less boring. I've always had great teachers who motivated their students well. You never know when a student will want to be a teacher someday!

I've also felt the need to do some body toning, so I've rented a few exercise videos. Ever since quitting my membership at the gym, I realize there's a little "extra" hanging around. The morning are best! Can't wait until Spring/Summer to get outside more. Oh, sun, come quickly!

What did you all do for Valentine's Day? Mike took me out to a Grill on the Eastside which was delicious. No kids for an evening is always nice. And tonight as a family we went to Fat Burger, using a coupon we had! So fun! Mike also brought home a beautiful bouquet of flowers that currently sits on the living room side table. Flowers are beautiful, they remind me of life, especially life after this life! Mike also got us a Sees candies certificate, so we're going to go pick out chocolates some time this week. Wow, I've had so much sugar lately, I believe my immune system is way down, and probably the reason my throat is scratchy. Think I'm catching my youngest's cold :( Also, today, we attended a most elegant Valentine party. Thanks Susi. It was a blast to hang out, even though it was slightly crazy with kids. But food was wonderful and the treats were ohsogood!

This post has become extremely long and doubt most of you will have time to read. Hopefully, on this day celebrating love you will remember that Jesus loves you SO much. We don't have to better ourselves before coming to Him. We just need to come to Him with humble hearts, wanting to turn, repent from our ways, conform to His. Then His Spirit does the changing!

No comments: