Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Juggling

I know I only have two kids, so if you have more than that, you will likely find my post below to be shallow and a big whine. But here goes...

I'm having a hard time juggling everything!

With home schooling, bookkeeping, teaching piano, cleaning my house, and running errands, I find that more than one of these gets overlooked until, bam!, it must needs be done right now!

My frig is a disaster, my floor needs to be mopped (mind you, I don't have a huge kitchen to mop, but smaller ones do get dirty faster thus needing to be mopped more frequently), my bathroom is always behind on a scrub (amazingly, I did clean it last week), and dusting rarely gets done (except every time my husband notices it and goes "hmmm...it's kind of dusty in here...").

Also, I have a hard time getting out with other mom-friends and their kids. We have like, one day of the week for freedom, and usually that's spent catching up on things that get let go! I've tried scheduling. Believe me, I am a schedule maniac. But you can't always schedule everything. With kids, things come up unexpectedly.

Don't get me wrong, I like being busy. In fact, I probably asked for it. I seem lost and restless if I'm not preoccupied. But often, it catches up with me and chokes me and I feel stressed.

Do any of you, my dear friends, have keys to managing your time? Any empathy?? :)

3 comments:

Carrie said...

yup yup! Totally get you. Life with little children just IS overwhelming at times. Because they always need you for something - usually just when you are really focused on getting something done.

I like being busy as well. But sometimes I think I pile on too much.

You really do an awesome job just enjoying your girls though and I think that's the most important thing you could do right now.

Susannah Forshey said...

You know, this is going to come across as cliche. But, Joy, it comes from a place of deepest empathy. I'm in your situation, too. I juggle the unpredictability of military demands on my husband, the unknowns of (and trying to plan) the future, and pressure of running (and trying to succeed at) a business, being a devoted (and calm) mother, homeschooling, and trying to involve us in activities other than home all the time. Oh yeah, and things that grow me, too, like Girls' nights, Date nights, serving in the church, and bible study. Ugh. How can one person do all of that? Just writing it all out is enough to make me cry. It doesn't even include talking to friends/family back east, or involving myself in ministry (feeding the poor, visiting the sick).

Well, my experience has been that if I give the FIRST "10 percent" of my day to the Lord, no matter what it takes (leaving the baby crying in bed for 10 minutes), He does manage my time, fulfill me, puts a guard over my lips, and uses me for His kingdom. No matter how defeated I feel when I arise. No matter what wet beds and dirty dishes await me, when I GIVE that first bit of time to Him, and ask Him for His strength and His JOY to replace my self-serving instincts, I have VICTORY over the day. It amazes me. Just 2 days ago, I finally got back to that bible time in the morning and let the girls play/cry in their room for a few minutes, I kept rolling my eyes to heaven in wonderment at the things that happened throughout the rest of the day. I was ABLE to make decisions....I was somehow energized to keep up with the house during the day. I remembered things I NEVER remember (like soaking beans for tomorrow's meal), and all throughout the day, Violet was obedient & respectful. She kept saying spontaneously, "Mommy, I love you. I really do." I was blessed, and astonished at what God did with me.

So.....it works. It's like pixie dust over your day. The power available to you and me as children of God....well, it's as magical as pixie dust. You just have to take time to sprinkle it. Sacrifice the moments in the morning, confess your sins & ask for help. God does not withhold his Spirit from us when we ask.

Joy said...

thank you for that Susi. Such a good reminder. I have found this to be true as well...and sometimes I fail miserably at putting God first in my day. This week I'm going to strive to get up early and do it!!

So funny, some people think having a relationship is not about rules (and it isn't) but at the same time, if I really love God, I'll WANT to read Scripture to know more about Him. If I love Him, I'll WANT to pray, confess my sin. My desire for Christ increases, not so important things decrease.

THANK YOU!