Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Review

It occurred to me I had not given my review of 2010. Here it is straight from my journal, originally written on the first day of this year, 2011:

As I look back on 2010, I see a FULL year that flew by. Seriously. Where did it go? God has been good to us. I don't mean things have always been dandy. But God has been faithful and with us through every moment of 2010.

He was with us when I struggled with Bible Study Fellowship leadership...it was so hard being pregnant, juggling all the responsibility....the added struggle of not turning my time with God into a legalistic thing that stole my joy away. He was with us when I gave birth to Katie Claire, all 8 lbs of her! And God knew I wanted my Grandma there to see her 2 great- granddaughters, and to my surprise, He arranged it so she could. He truly knows the deep desire of our hearts. God is good because my dad turned 50; he and mom have been married for 30 years! God is good because even though business was down He still provided for our needs, above and beyond. Helped us to save, too. We have a roof over our heads, nice clothes on our backs, food to eat, cars to drive. I could go on & on. God has been faithful when we were able to afford a remodel and complete it; when Brilla turned 4; when I remembered our Amelia on September 24th. How deep the pain used to be; God does heal, His love and promises are yet deeper! We rejoice to see her again some day. God's goodness was again seen in providing a record-breaking amount of work during the fall and winter seasons, allowing us to go to Disney World. Our first family vacation in about 2 years. God has been good in bringing Brilla to know Jesus as Savior; finding a solid church; making new friends; growing us in our marriage; finding freedom from the sin of anger; Bible Study Fellowship for both my girls and I; homeschooling Brilla; allowing me to keep up with paperwork for the company. Thank you Jesus, you are the Rock that never changes; never ages!

Some lessons learned:

1) When things aren't right between Michael and I, take the time to talk and reconcile.
2) I'm only as good a parent as I am a wife, and only as good a wife as I am a Christian.
3) Be patient with Brilla.
4) I can have freedom from anger.
5) With the same judgment I give to others, I'll be judged! Do no judge/criticize others; pray for them instead. When praying, I can't help but love.
6) Spend time with God every day.
7) Death is a part of life. Heaven in sooner than we think. People we know and love will die, but don't be sad or anxious. Realize it won't always be this way; God will restore!
8) Cherish the times with my children. They grow quickly.

2 comments:

Susannah Forshey said...

My heart is right there with you on almost all of those things. My "list" would echo yours almost word for word. I would add to them what you said earlier, tho: I learned this year that God will heal you, He will restore the losses. He will right the injustices. That is so hard to see when the pain of separation (death...or deployment) is fresh. I wept and wept for my friend who lost her baby (& sister & brother within a month) and cried for the years of Family we lost. I never thought I'd be saying it this soon...but I know it has been restored. I have great assurance that what we bear here, now...will not just all be ended, but will be restored, made right. Some here on earth, some later in heaven. Watching you make it through your losses over the years, Joy, has helped me grow in this understanding, too. Thanks for sharing.

Joy said...

thanks to you, dear Sister. how amazing is His grace! He has carried you through so much. I cannot imagine life with my husband across oceans for months at a time, with threat of death. i'm sure there is much healing to be had. He will do it though! And His healing is complete.Such sadness for your friend. Wow, just wow.

So honored to be your friend and always enjoy your company~