Wednesday, June 2, 2010

8 Weeks and Other Stuff

Katie is 8 weeks as of Memorial Day, not quite 2 months. She is "talking" - cooing, ahhing, smiling. She's sleeping from 10:30-7 and giving Mommy more rest. She's also gripping long lego pieces, rolling from tummy to back (she loves tummy time), and finally getting this nursing thing down. I also finally started her on cloth diapers. She was just too little in the beginning for a huge bulky diaper. I am finding the prefolds by Econobum to be great. I'm able to simply wipe out the cover for the next diaper. As for the messy blowouts, those I just throw into a baggy to be washed later. At the end of the day, I wash a hot load of icky diapers. We've saved a lot of money already with these things. I've ordered a few bumGenius diapers to see how those compare. They will be easier for my husband to change!

We can't believe it's June around here already; the rain is not making it seem possible. However, this rain has been a great excuse to stick around home, keep my girls' schedules regular, do house work and plan for Summer/Fall piano. My 3 1/2 year old still takes naps, which has been nice. She's a big helper and second mama with her little sister. Never have I seen any animosity toward her new little sibling. I know that may change as they get older, but the initial transition has gone very well.

I am working out again. It feels good to be walking, running, and doing the elliptical. The first time was rough, but I am surprised how easily I've gotten back in the groove of things. At Fred Meyer, I bought myself a "between bodies" outfit to exercise in. This week, I experiment with swimming. I know it's a great workout, but don't know if I'll survive. My reward is a hot tub soak afterward.

On Memorial Day weekend, my brother came home for summer break. He has one more year, then he's got his Masters in Business, already has his Bachelors in Engineering. Isn't that amazing?! I'm so proud of him. We are so happy to see him again, especially Brilla. She constantly talks about her uncles, but it was all that more exciting to have Uncle Brian here in the flesh. Uncle Sean is traveling this summer with an ensemble team. He plays piano for the performances, then sings with the group when they have a track. My brother is an amazing pianist. He was my best student. He loves music, specifically piano, and has natural performance talent. I never had to motivate him to practice. In fact, sometimes we had to beg him to stop. We will see him later in the summer for a couple weeks.

Memorial Day was relaxing for us. My husband was going to go in for work, but he hurt his back doing dishes for me (I know, poor baby). Seriously, though, he's a tall guy, and the bending over in that position for a long period (there were a lot of dishes) caused his back to be incredibly sore. Anyway, he had really bad muscle spasms, so he just hung out, making business calls, doing paperwork, and helping me around the house. B and I headed out during Katie's nap for some girl time. Later that evening, Mike and I went out for our first date since 2 months before Katie came. It was heaven. We went to dinner at McCormick & Schmick's, bought dessert, then came home to eat it while we watched a movie. So nice not to have to put our oldest down for bed! Had the best night's sleep ever. We need to do this again soon.

I have a new interest...sewing. I'm excited to learn. Way back, my grandmother, over the period of a year, ordered page after a page, a sewing series so that I could learn. Now it sits in a box in my garage. I feel bad for having never used it. But I have absolutely no desire to sort through that whole series to learn. I have currently borrowed some books from the library. All I need is a sewing machine. I'll probably borrow my mother's, then buy one for myself if I have enough interest and need it at my fingertips. I see all these cute baby items, curtains, etc. that I want to buy but are too expensive.

My goal lately has been to get at least one book completed. I'm reading about 3 things at once. I love to read, but I have to choose! Right now my reads are Bringing up Girls, Walt Disney World with Kids 2010, and Bundle of Trouble, not to mention a few magazines. Hopefully, the next time you read my post, I can give a report on one book!

No comments: