Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Staycation!


As I've mentioned before, our family has not gone on any vacations within the last year. We've been playing it safe with this pregnancy and not flown.

This last weekend, though, we had a much needed family "staycation"!!

Breakfast was at Mitzel's. This is only the second time I've breakfasted there, and it was pretty good. I ordered the potato pancakes (which turned out to be gigantic) and Mike ordered his Belgian waffle.

No, these first two photos are not from our staycation, but they are of Brilla enjoying the sun we've had this last week! We took to the park after my mid-wife appt. It's like Spring here already! Can you believe it - in Western WA?



Back to our staycation. On extremely full tummies, we made our way south to Northwest Trek! Our plans to go to Museum of Flight were changed due to the gorgeous weather. Who wants to stay inside when one can be in the great outdoors looking at God's marvelous creation?!


This river otter was in perfect position for a shot. He's very photogenic, don't you think?

We saw swans, ducks, geese, bull elk (with antlers still!!), deer, moose, bison, mountain goats, and bighorn sheep. We were blessed to see all these guys because sometimes you just never know if you'll see a little or a lot on your tour! I think they somehow got the memo that the sun was out :) Oh, and Mt. Rainier was in full glory as well. After trailing around to look at some of the off-tour animals - like bald eagles and black bears - we browsed the gift shop and then ate at the cafe. Their cafe has great food, just a heads up to any of you locals. And it's in this really cool lodge area with the fireplace crackling.

Then here we are the next day at staycation destination #2! Bellevue Square...Bri loved this fountain. In fact, I even let her reach down and put her hands in that delightfully germ-free water ;P She just couldn't get enough of this fountain!


We tried out a new restaurant, at least new to us. Z-Tejas, a Southwestern grill! Can I say the food was amazing? I know I'm pregnant, and that several times in this post I have mentioned what I've ordered at meals. Food is totally on my radar. But this place is seriously something. The prices are pretty decent, too. Hubby and I are definitely going back for a date night!

While browsing Bellevue Square, we also discovered an arcade that Bri fell in love with. I don't think she's ever seen anything of the sort. With all the flashing brilliance, she was mesmerized. We're so cheap...we didn't come prepared to do anything in there, so she satisfied herself by riding the cars, playing with guitar hero (with no sound), and just watching everyone else hang out. She loved it! And I discovered a super-nice Tully's that I'm going to have to go back to.

Our staycation was memorable. I thoroughly enjoy family days, and this was no exception. Especially with the sun out all day, we couldn't have asked for a more beautiful setting! I feel incredibly blessed by God to get out and soak up the simple things in life. And with the dear, precious husband and daughter (and daughter soon-to-be-here) accompanying me, my joy is complete indeed!

No comments: