Monday, February 1, 2010

The Bug

This is the bug that never ends...

Brilla is sick again. She was healthy for a looong time, then boom. She has had a fever, at least one time in each of the three past weeks. It's like her body keeps fighting something off. Finally, this weekend, the bug won and now she has congestion and sore throat. Your common cold.

About 4 weeks ago is when I started going back to the gym to walk regularly. Seems that long ago when Brilla started catching her bugs. I'm very much tempted to never return. I do not know why parents will bring their children to the Kids Klub when they are sick. Sure, it' s an inconvenience to have to stay home and miss your workout, but making other kids sick is a bigger inconvenience!

I would not complain if I didn't have responsibilities to be at. I don't mind calling and saying I have to be absent for leadership. (There are other children in the childcare, I don't want to get them sick) However, when it happens repeatedly, I feel bad for my co-leader who has to carry the teaching load all by her lonesome - she has two children of her own. But I know I'm not in control of when my daughter gets sick; I'll just have to pray that she recovers healthily and quickly! And I'm SO glad I myself have not gotten sick at all. I think it's those prenatal vitamins! Thank you, Jesus, for keeping me and Baby safe!

Might as well take advantage of this free time to prepare for our soon Baby arrival! This past weekend, I went through most of my baby bins and discovered I have WAY too much baby clothing and blankets. Most of it I did not purchase. Most of it is from showers, generous friends and family. When I do purchase kids' clothing, it's pretty cheap, as my favorite place to shop is a downtown thrift store. Many of the outfits are $1 or less! For example, I could not believe my eyes one day when I found the cutest little black/hot pink GUESS sweat outfit for B for only $1.49. Anyhow, I will be giving away much of the clothing since I don't need all of it. However, I also found out I really have no newborn clothing. I had a handful to begin with, and unfortunately, many of the pieces are stained. Even the cute blue with yellow duckies welcome outfit my newborn Brilla wore! She had to wear preemie clothing too, before her newborn stuff. Who knows the measurements of this new little girl :)

In my perusal, I also discovered that I have two baby carriers, which I might sell. One is Snugli, the other Infantino. I discovered my grocery cart cover, baby food blender, two diaper bags, breast pads, breast milk bags, breast pump, infant toys (rattles and such), mobiles, crib bedding, bottles (which I hardly ever used) and other miscellaneous items I won't bore you with. I have one more bin to browse, and I will be done. Goodness, you'd think I had 4 kids or something with all my baby stuff! When you're a first time mom, you don't know what you need, so I ended up registering for everything I thought I needed. This time 'round, things will be much simpler.

Here are some things experience has taught me I do not need:

  • Boppy. I'm petite anyway, so Baby can reach fine for nursing.
  • Bottles. A nursing mom only needs one or two!
  • Baby monitor. This is personal preference. Both my husband and I decided we did not need this. I honestly never discovered how they were supposed to help a parent. But again, some parents love them.
  • High chair. Wipe-able booster seat all the way, Baby!
  • Infant carrier. My babies are very small as infants, so I will be using a sling or wrap instead.
  • Wipe warmer.
  • All those afghans. They are cute and beautiful, but are too hard for swaddling, and baby's toes get caught!
  • Pacifiers. Brilla was not a paci girl. We were completely surprised by this. Who knows if this one will be, but I'd rather she not be!
  • Diaper pail. Can you say "trash can"?
  • Jogging stroller. Gym membership has rid my need of jogging/walking around my neighborhood. Safer in my case.
Things I will be using this time:

  • Cloth diapers.
  • Sling/wrap.
  • Swaddling blanket.
  • Silicone breast pads.
  • Great nursing bras.
  • Better tummy-time mat.
  • Simple diaper/wipe carrier versus huge diaper bag all the time.
  • Baby food blender. I didn't use it at all last time, but I'm hoping to save money by making my own baby food.

No comments: