Saturday, June 1, 2013

I just got back from a trip down to sunny (and smoggy) Los Angeles. Give me sun, though, and I'm not a huge complainer. It was in the 70s with slight wind. Perfect. My cousin got married to the boy she's been dating since high school! Ten years of dating is a long time! They are a very cute couple and I wish them the best.

I didn't take a ton of photos. I was busy chatting with my cousins (I have 33) or catching up with my aunts and uncles.

The first day was wonderful. I got to fly without children! So nice to not have luggage too. I did make the mistake of sitting in front of a family with older kids. You don't expect the older ones to be loud (we are talking ages 10-14) but they were. They sounded like they were riding an amusement park ride. Several hoots and hollers throughout the trip!

I was grateful that my Uncle Gil invited me to his home for home-cooked fare because I was ravenous! He is an excellent chef. He made sea bass, Mongolian beef, cucumber and kale salad, and beef tenderloin steaks. All topped off with rice! The Filipino way :)

So thankful I have such hospitable family in Southern CA, not all families are like that. In fact, I'm finding it's rare.

I helped out with decorating the ballroom but did precious little in the grand scheme of things. The theme was Disney since both Nick & Steff love all things Disney. There was even Disney theme music throughout the reception. Loved it. Black and purple. Old Hollywood themed dresses and tuxes. Almost a rocker chick/stud look.

Dancing was fun, though I missed not having Mike to sway and be-bop with. Of course, we don't have great moves. But we still love dancing. If we could do it all over again, we would have had dancing at our wedding.

I tried champagne for the first time. I don't like it. It's bitter. Or maybe I'm just a novice and have to get used to the taste of alcohol. For what it's worth, I think I much prefer the taste of sparkling juice and will stick with that. I have a hard enough time watching my calories as it is. I did not grow up with my parents drinking wine or much alcohol on a regular basis. I did hear them having it while out on dates, but never in the home. Mike's parents did not have alcohol in the home ever, period. So before you think us prudes, we simply did not grow up around it and that is why we don't drink. We have made a personal decision to not casually drink, but not because we look down on others who do.   We really are not interested in the stuff.

The older I grow, the more I realize how important relationships are. They were (are) important to Jesus, and I think it's inborn in each of us to want close relationships with others. Especially since we're made in God's image. I care deeply for my family and found simple happiness in catching up with each one of them. If I could sum up the best part of this trip to Nick & Steffie's wedding, it would be that. Getting to know those most closely connected with me.

As always, it feels grand to be home again. I enjoy getting back on schedule. I'm weird like that, just my personality. Though in another month or two, I will need another break :) Maybe that will be the time for us to go on a day trip.

I hear those in the Midwest are all done with school. Wish that was the m.o. on the West Coast. Nope, we have another couple weeks left. Really, we are home schooled and can finish anytime we please. Still have quite a few ends to tie, however. Brilla has a Science project presentation to give this Monday, and Latin continues until the end of the month. But we should be done with everything else by June 12.




No comments: