Thursday, July 5, 2012

These last couple weeks (besides the Fourth of July) have been pretty awful health-wise! Twenty-four hours after I landed home from Florida, I came down with a fever that lasted throughout the night and next morning. Then it reoccurred the next day...and the next day. Why? Because mom's don't get a break. Especially when your husband is crazy busy at work. But Mike was very, very sweet and took Friday to do bids at home and help out. I just needed some sleep and was able to get it!

But this cold is/was a doozy. My girls all had it, then gave it to me. In fact, I was holding out just great until I traveled. Travelling always does me in. Our sore throats are slowly drifting away, while our hacking coughs have overdone their stay.

Thankfully, the sun has come out to play! The Fourth of July celebration was at our house this year. It was our first year hosting because now we have room with the deck out the back! We had about 23 family members over. We had a great time eating (of course), playing badminton, volleyball and golf (the throwing kind) and setting off and watching fireworks. Super exhausting, but totally worth all the smiles and memories made.

I wish I had taken more photos! My brother was able to get some so I'll just have to snag his. Reese loved being held by her aunties and grandmas. What a life.

Too bad we can't have a second celebration, we have a ton of leftovers. Two racks of ribs and about twenty pieces of bbq chicken. I was a good girls and sent all those who brought dessert home with what was left. I have to share: We had layered lemon dessert, strawberry shortcake with fresh whipped cream/ vanilla ice cream, raspberry layered cake, and fruit bars. Yes, hard to resist any of those! So I didn't.

Before the Fourth, I had lost 6 pounds. Part of that was sickness, part of it was eating very healthy and minimal sugar, combined with exercise. It feels good to have a little room in my shorts :)

Now, I'll have to shed away a few again. But that's okay, because I know I can do it! I've been a lot more patient with myself, thinking on "whatsoever is true and noble and pure....".

I'm still reading Lies Women Believe and am soaking up Truth. God's Word is so opposite worldly wisdom.  His Word is also such a thorough two-edged sword. It's also a gentle teacher. Much of the information in the book I have heard before (or the Holy Spirit has convicted me about before) but it never hurts to confirm God's Truth in my mind!

Well, right now, Katie wants me to read her book. I'm serious, she loves the ones with no pictures...like the Bobbsey Twins; it's hilarious! So off I go to read, then send them to bed. The sooner, the more relaxing for me. Good night!




1 comment:

Carrie said...

I know what you mean about wanting to have another gathering to eat the leftovers in your fridge! :) Glad you had such a wonderful time. (And I'm also glad you are starting to feel better.)