Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Bad and The Good


The bad news is that I have the staff infection, Merca, on my leg. The good news is that it is healing right on schedule with all the antibiotics I've been taking. A few posts ago, I mentioned my leg was in lots of pain, the OB nurse attributing it to a very low immune system. That was the wrong diagnosis. At the time, the cut on my knee wasn't very big, so I didn't mention it. Fact was, it was infected with Merca, and that is why my lymph node swelled up, inflammation spreading throughout my leg. Thank Jesus I went with my intuition that this thing wasn't getting better and headed to the doctor. They did the typical numbing of my knee (ouch!!), drastically squeezing the pus out (it was deep in there) as only a hospital can do, taking a culture, and bandaging it up. And got a nice tetanus shot to boot :) If I would've known it would be so involved, I'd have left my children in another's care.

Now my day involves watching the clock a lot...for nursing Katie, taking medication 4x a day, taking acidophilus, prenatal vitamin (have to watching timing, iron would cancel out med's effectiveness) and Vit C. Whew. Feel like I'm popping pills in my mouth all the time. But I feel great. And that's what's important. It was awful to have my leg hurt so bad I couldn't get around.

We're having girl time this weekend! Daddy is in Malibu (Canada) for a retreat, so we have some fun stuff planned! Painting toes, going to the playground, walking at the beach, and garage saling. This Saturday will be busy. My husband's chiropractor is having a "Patient Appreciation Day" and offering free exams, x-rays and adjustment to family members ($200 value). I got a slot! Before that, though, Lakeland Hills development is having their annual community garage sale. We'll be looking for toys for our backyard and maybe snag a few other things ;) After that, I go to care for my husband's grandmother. She recently fell and can hardly get around because of her soreness/pain. Thankfully, she has other help during the weekend and week.

Can you believe it's May already? Since having Katie, the days have flown. She is 5 weeks and smiling and cooing constantly. Such a fun stage. She's also on a regular schedule. Sleeping so well, too. She usually wakes up once in the night...2/3 or 4ish then sleeps until 7. Good eater - I used to worry she wasn't nursing long enough, but I've come to realize both my girls only take about 15 minutes total when they're newborns. Funny, her little toys are taking over the house...swing, bouncher, tummy time thing, other toy where she lays on her back. We're calling it "Katie's Castle".

Brilla is becoming quite the helper and little mother. Putting Katie' socks back on, adjusting her straps on her bouncer, bringing me diapers and such, covering her with her soft blankie, and picking her up without me knowing it (yeah, that one was pretty scary!). We've noticed when Daddy gets home, she wants just as much attention as Katie gets. But that's just plain 'ole desire for affirmation. It's been a challenge to not let Brilla get bored while I'm caring for Katie. I have this list of things to do with her/for her so I don't run out of ideas. Thankfully, the weather has been warmer lately, so she can run around outside.

Oh, I got to hang out with my neighbor the other day. She watched Brilla while I went to my dentist appointment. Afterward, I brought a salad, she made chicken and rice, and we had lunch while talking about everything under the sun. She's getting her driver's license, which will be nice for her and the boys to get out. It was just fun to talk to another mom, not kids all day!

No comments: