Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Confession is Good for the Soul

Not only is it good for the soul, but consistent repentance to God of our sins, not only as one coming to Christ for the first time, but also as a "seasoned believer", is a must for the road to becoming more like Christ. It should be a daily to-do.

"Confess your faults (trespasses) one to another, and pray one for another, that you may be healed." James 5:16

I've recently been hit with this truth, again. The Holy Spirit's been convicting me of resentment I have toward someone. I've gone from day to day thinking I really don't have anything to confess about. But I'm a child of God, and like all His children, I don't want anything between He and I. Or if I'm quite honest, I like to hold onto that resentment, feeling justified and smug in my feelings. But why would I want that disconnection with another person? It stems the flow of God's unconditional love through me. When I hate or resent or am bitter, I cannot love like I should.

You really don't need to ask the Holy Spirit to convict you. And if you do, it won't be long in coming. In reality, I am grateful for that gently prodding of the Spirit. It means He's at work in me. My spirit is sensitive to His. Sometimes when we harden our hearts continually, God simply let's us have our way until either we don't ever listen to Him anymore, or we become so warped and frustrated in our own will, that we must come crawling on our knees, wishing we had done so earlier. Guilt lies and tells us God's grace is insufficient to cover our sins. It's actually selfish, because it wallows in self-pity, never really coming clean before God. But conviction is different. Godly sorrow leads to salvation. Godly sorrow leads to life.

The amazing God is always there to forgive our sins. He doesn't bury our nose in the dirt...that's not the reason for repentance. It's a dedication to live differently, a humbling of our hearts to His wiser ways. Though He's an Almighty God, He's also all-merciful and He wants us very close, not far off.

And once there's that restoration, the spiritual fruit continues to get bigger and more beautiful! There's nothing like true joy and peace.

No comments: