Thursday, January 24, 2013

Overflowing

My cup overflows. God is so good and so amazing. I have nothing to complain or argue about.
But I do it anyway.
I tend to view my cup as half full, but on some things I have a downright pity party. I simply forget to trust God's unfailing character or I get my eyes off of Him and onto the things of his world. Whatever the case, I choose to become discontent or disconnected because I forget God's gifts.

I like what one pastor said. "A thankless person can always find the manure pile in a beautiful meadow."
I've heard some people excuse a thankless heart as "being realistic" or "just concerned" or something that sounds justifiable. But when I trust my sovereign God, knowing Him to be at work, there is no room for anxiety, depression, impatience, anger or discontent. My attitude should be nothing less than gratitude for what God has given- ultimately salvation. Forgiveness forever!
I mean, what can thwart God's purpose for my life? Whatever He desires will come to pass. Maybe I
should read up more on what His Word says so I can trust His promises. He never promised an easy life, but He promised peace, love, joy, patience and all that amazing fruit that can pour out of me, as a result of the Holy Spirit controlling my heart and will and emotions.
So, as I contemplate, I start my thankful list. I begin a new one every day because each day challenges me to be upset or grateful in new ways.
It starts in the morning with a prayer. Thanking God for my children. I know my weakness is to get harried with their demands, so I put that spiritual armor on ahead of time. And I choose joy and gratitude. And throughout the day, I continue to set my mind on things above. And when I don't, His forgiveness is free and ready. And believe me, it's a good thing God doesn't keep track! I fail so much, but God has begun a good work in me that He will finish!

Here in the Northwest, the winter months can be rather dismal with all the cold, rain, fog and ice. I am reminded, however that we don't have continual snow like Michigan or Alaska during these months. And it is so nice to have an excuse to be inside the warm house. Working on school, organization projects, or just lazing around with a book. I'm also thankful we have a car and don't have to take the bus or walk to our destination. And that our car actually runs.

When you go down the rabbit trail of praising for all He's given, it's hard to be an Eyeore.

I want this to be a life long habit - the more I am filled with gratitude, the more I can be used by God and the more inspiring example I can be to the girls, and others. Not just a positive mental attitude, a conjuring up of the senses, but a choice to believe that God says Who He says He is. And that he chooses to involve me in a relationship with Him, while all the while letting His will be done here on the earth. Whether it be in the government, my home, church, extended family, etc.

I am overflowing.






1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Hi Joy,

I just read your beautiful words. I just got back from BSF area retreat, and am filled from that, and your words are just the icing on the cake. You write so eloquently. I remember our last retreat, and getting to know you as we sat together on the bus. That must have been 2 babies ago! Thanks for your sweet blog. I love to read it, and you inspire and encourage me so much.