Thursday, November 5, 2009

My Birthday

Here's my birthday in a nutshell...

My husband had some work-related errands to run on Saturday morning, so I was busy keeping Brilla preoccupied. I had a horrible allergy, and for some reason, my daughter was extra needy. Isn't that how it always works? To boot, I was in a bad mood. I have a sneaky suspicion it was those pregnancy hormones.

Also, financial times have been tight. So, here I was, thinking of a way to enjoy myself on my birthday without spending money, and with a toddler in tow. I figured I'd head to the library; choose a movie, pick up my book that finally came in, and read some stories to my girl. That was great until Brilla had a melt-down. An older boy, not realizing she was "using" the kids' computer, had logged in and taken it over. She was wailing, "There's no spot left for me!" at the top of her lungs. Finally the calm came and we had our story time.

Next, I returned some items at Target. While there, I bought some batteries for Brilla's activity laptop - to make up for her not being able to play on the one at the library. The plan was for her to play with her laptop while I read my book at the coffee shop. However, by this time, I was so exhausted and nap time was already leering at us. Thus, we drove back home, where we could still have computer and book time, and maybe even a little cup of coffee.

My husband arrived back home about mid afternoon (I'm thinking part of his "errands" was getting my gift), after I had put B down for nap. I was ready for a nap too! And I did just that. A nice, hour-long nap :) When I woke up, it was time to get our costumes on for the church harvest party! Brilla was a 40's diner girl and I was a pumpkin. I bought her costume in late summer for only about $5, preventing a rush for something cute. My outfit was simply homemade, but very comfy, as it entailed wearing black sweats! Mike just went as, well, Mike :D We made quick work of the stations (there were 15!) because I know my toddler's attention span wanes quickly. After earning a bagfull of candy, we headed out for late dinner at Happy Teriyaki, our favorite teriyaki place in Tacoma. It was a nice ending to a loooong day.

Oh, and when we got home, Mike gave me my gift. A new vacuum!! I desperately needed one! The one we bought when first married was refurbished, so really inexpensive. But since then, the hose has detached from the main part and many of the functions no longer work. It vacuums, but, you know. Mike and I actually decided to take the one he got as my gift, back to Costco, and pick up a Dyson. More expensive, but much better quality. It will be my birthday gift and our Christmas gift combined. Yay!

On Sunday, Mike planned a party for me. We ate out at Claim Jumper, one of our favorites. I love their Tri-tip dip. It is delicious! I ate the whole thing. Okay, I did give away some to my daughter, Mom and s-i-l, but still had plenty. Even the steak fries and huge pickle. I'm thinking there's a little person inside who loved it all, too.

Then we headed to our house for cake and gifts. My sweet mother-in-law made my requested pumpkin bars with cheesecake frosting! Yum. It disappeared fast. For some reason, my husband told people I needed kitchen towels. He doesn't know I have a whole stash in our linens closet...so I received about 10 kitchen towels! I am now stocked forever. But I also received some great oven mitts, kitchen rug and beautiful tiered tray (for teas and things). Everyone was generous!
My brothers had even sent me cards from college. My dear Grandma sent me this cool "metal soap bar" thing that you rub your hands with after handling garlic and such. It rids the smell...wow. And my best friend, Jules, sent me a gorgeous scarf and bracelet that she purchased while on a missions trip to the Philippines. Such a thoughtful friend! I have already worn the scarf and love it.

Aren't birthdays lovely? Good thing we have one every year, just to remind us we are loved and cared for by others :)

No comments: